Prologue

Kampilya, Panchala

Shashti, Ashwin Shukla Paksha, 4000 BCE

The capital city of Kampilya was the shining beacon of Panchala kingdom. Due to its advantageous location on the banks of Ganga, it was a center for trade and economic activity which was clearly showcased in its multiple markets in various localities of the city. Prosperity was seen in every nook and corner of the nagar (city), with large spacious houses made out of yellow sandstone, which blazed golden in the evening sun. It was as if the goddess of wealth, good luck and prosperity, Devi Lakshmi herself resided in every household.

But today, the bustling streets of Kampilya were almost deserted, quite the opposite of usual atmosphere of pomp and gaiety that would be present to celebrate the festival of Navaratri - to worship the divinity of the nine forms of Adi parashakti (Supreme Goddess). Apart from a few women who were lighting earthen lamps outside their houses, the lanes were empty, for this was a kingdom which was in the middle of a war. Most of the menfolk were out at Western borders fighting the tribes of Matsya kingdom. Other than women, children and old men, almost every single youth was involved in the war. Celebration of the Navaratri festival was the last thing in the minds of citizens of Panchala kingdom. There were no flowers decorating the houses, no lamps lighting up the streets and no mantras and Vedic hymns were being sung in praise of Mahishasuramardini (a form of the Supreme Goddess -Adi Parashakti).

All that was heard was the deep baritone of Mahamrityunjaya mantra being chanted continuously in the Katyayini temple to protect the royal army fighting for their land. The vibrations of this powerful chants reverberated throughout the empty back streets of Kampilya, even dampening the sound of arati being sung in the magnificent stone shrine of Devi Katyayini, the resident goddess of the capital city. Legend has it that ringlets of Devi Sati's hair fell where the temple is situated when Lord Vishnu used his Sudarshana Chakra to dissect her burnt body into different parts. Since then, to worship the purity of Sati, a majestic temple was built in the area. Made purely out of smooth black stone, the entire structure was a sight for sore eyes. Every surface was intricately carved, narrating different scenes from Hindu mythology as well as showcasing the figurines of different gods and goddesses, celestial nymphs and a wide variety of animals and birds. The precision and delicacy with which every groove, every curve was carved would put any architect to shame. It was as if the Devas themselves had crafted it with their own hands. The base of the temple was broad, spanning over many square feet in length and exactly five stone steps leading up to Ardhamandapam - the outer courtyard of the building which was supported by heavily decorated pillars. Beyond this open area was the Mandapam and finally at the other end, past the Pradakshinapath, was the Garbagriha (sanctum sanctorum) which housed the tall, resplendent idol of the goddess. Similar to the shrine, it was made out of shining midnight black stone, dressed in the softest silk brocades and decked up in glittering jewels of gold inlaid with the most precious stones. Just above the Garbhagriha was the Shikhara, where a triangular saffron flag, heavily embroidered with gold and silver threads was fluttering with the cool zephyrs coming from the Ganga.

Inside the grand Mandapam, a few devotees were seated on the stone floor, all engrossed in meditation except for four middle aged women who were sitting behind one of the massive pillars near the Pradakshinapath of the temple and deliberating the current plight faced by Panchala citizens amidst the war. Only one fourth of the army was present in the palace to guard the royal family and city. This made the city vulnerable to raids from other neighboring kingdoms. It was a fact that during this Navaratri, soldiers from the nearby kingdom had looted the granary and killed the soldiers guarding it. As the conversation advanced, they contemplated on what could be done to protect the food stores, women and the royal palaces till the king and the imperial army returned.