Chapter 1

A simple town in the suburbs hasn't always been known for strange things. It was peaceful: no arguments, no fights, nothing. Not even a sign of the dragons that are talked about on TV. News reports, talk shows, insider reports. No matter what they talk about, the small town never saw a single one. Except when one family's kids started acting strange.

This family included a single mother, Evanna, and four kids.  The oldest child was Trevor, with slightly longer blond hair and blue eyes. He had a bigger build due to playing football at the high school. He had all kinds of football posters in his room and always wore football jerseys, shorts and gym shoes.

The second oldest was Brenda. She had blond hair down to her waist and her eyes were a very light blue, almost cyan if you looked close enough. Because of this, she wore colored contacts to make her blue eyes more normal. She was all about boys from movies like Edward Cullen from Twilight or Dean and Sam from Supernatural.

The third oldest was Aya. She always had short blond hair that was almost white and her eyes were very light. She too wore colored contacts so her eyes wouldn't look so strange. She had My Little Ponies all over her room, including the most recent Friendship is Magic series. She had the whole Build-a-Bear collection of them, the whole Ty collection, every small figurine that came out, and every trading card. Her bed was what they called the Mane 6 and she had posters of the ponies. Being in the world of technology, she had an Ipod Touch that had nothing but pony games on it.

The youngest was David. His hair was more of a darker blond and he had deep blue eyes. His mother always said they were as blue as the ocean, which David had a passion for. He loved water. He had pictures of sea creatures all over his walls and a lot of dolphin, whale, and fish stuffed animals and toys.

Trevor and Brenda were in high school, while Aya and David were in middle school. However, they were still considered strange ever since abnormal occurrences had started among the four of them.

Trevor had been doing an experiment in his Chemistry class when his hand brushed the beaker of water, causing it to freeze over the top and ruin the experiment. His teacher said it was a miscalculation since they were working on freezing water over, but Trevor knew it was a lie; he just had no idea how to explain it. His partner ditched him afterwards.

Brenda was no better. She had been running in gym and sweating like mad when it all froze on her forehead without her knowing. She had been taking a drink from her water bottle and it froze the whole bottle solid. She couldn't explain it and tried to hide it. Her classmates started avoiding her.

Aya couldn't explain her situation. She sneezed in class and oddly enough, snow flew from her nose into her sleeve. She managed to hide the snow by brushing it into a sink in her science room, but the wet spot couldn't be hidden as easily. She was scolded for "playing in the sink."

David was the most confused. He was simply getting a drink from the water fountain when the water went nuts and drenched his whole face. He tried to clean up the mess only to be accused of playing with the fountain and received a detention. He cried the whole time, saying he didn't know what happened.

All four kids came home and collapsed in their basement, the hangout spot. It was carpeted, had a huge TV with every channel, and couches and bean bags. They all worked on homework while talking about their day.

"It was so unfair today! I got a detention just because the water fountain was being weird!" David complained.

"That's nothing, David! They yelled at me for playing in the sink when I just sneezed!" Aya responded.

"Are you kidding? My classmates think I'm a freak because my water bottle froze in the middle of gym and I had ice on my forehead," Brenda said.

"Seems like water is hating us today," Trevor added.