17. Succubus

September 15th, 2015

"Good morning," the nurse said while she typed some information on her computer. "My name is Kayla, I'm Mariana's nurse. Let's start off with your vitals."

Kayla continued to ask me a million questions. Did I have a positive pregnancy test at home? When was my last period? Am I having spotting? Am I allergic to anything? Any changes in my medical history since I last visited the office? Any new medications? Any complications from the bullet wound?

"No, it healed fine," I said, not wanting to answer any more questions.

"Okay, that's good. Anything else you think is important for Mariana to know?" I shook my head. "Okay, now let's get some labs."

Kayla led me out of the room and to the bathroom. I never feel more humbled than when I have to pee in a cup at the doctor's office and accidentally pee on my own hand. After this, I had a quick blood draw and was sent back to the room to wait.

It felt like hell waiting the twenty minutes for my doctor, Mariana, to come into the room. You had texted me in the meantime, but I ignored it.

"Good morning, Adrienne," Mariana said as she washed her hands. "Your urine sample is back, but we'll have to wait a few days for the blood labs to come back. The urine sample did come back positive for pregnancy, but it also showed a urinary tract infection. A UTI can cause a false positive on these types of tests."

I didn't like this answer. I knew from the hospital that UTIs are common during pregnancy so what are the odds that I had both? I raised this question to Mariana.

" Your blood sample will confirm a pregnancy, but if you'd like an answer now, we can do an ultrasound. In the meantime, I'll get a round of antibiotics sent to your pharmacy."

"Yes, please. I can't wait a few days."

The ultrasound gel was colder than I expected, and the sensation of the wand going over my stomach was weird. But I'd take this feeling over the apprehension of waiting the next few days for the results to come in.

"This is your bladder," Mariana said, pointing to something on the screen. "I do not see a gestational sac or a fetus. Congratulations, Adrienne, you're not pregnant."

I sighed in relief, knowing things could go back to normal. You're the first person I needed to tell, so I went directly to your house.

Your car wasn't in the driveway, so I assumed you were out. This was often the case with our unusual schedules, so I used the key you gave me to let myself in and wait for you. I don't often do this, especially without warning you, but I figured you'd be okay with it. I sent you a quick text before laying down in your bed.