Chapter 78) Solidarity

Nobody speaks. Nobody moves. It's like all time has stopped.

Rosita finally shakes her head. "You are a scientist. I've seen the things that you can do."

"I just know things."

Glenn scoffs. "You just 'know things'?"

"I know I'm smarter than most people, I know I'm a very good liar, and I know I needed to get to DC."

Y/N feels very lightheaded now. She left everyone back at the church. Her people. They're her family.

All because of Eugene.

All because she thought that he was going to fix everything. All because she wanted a life with Glenn and her future baby.

She grips onto Rositas hand as she speaks. "Why?"

"Because I do believe that locale holds the strongest possibility for survival, and I wanted to survive. If I could cheat some people into taking me there, well, I just reasoned that I'd be doin' them a solid, too, considering the perilous state of the city of Houston, the state of everything."

Abraham squints his eyes as he crouches to the concrete. Everything he was fighting so hard for, was a lie.

Rosita grinds her teeth. "People died trying to get you here."

Eugene nods. "I'm aware of that-- Stephanie, Warren, Pam, Rex, Roger, Josiah, Dirk, and Josephine. And Bob." He pauses as he looks around at the group.

"You see, I lost my nerve as we grew closer, for I am a coward... and the reality of getting to our destination and disclosing e truth of the matter became some truly frightening shit. I took it upon myself to slow our roll. Find time to finesse things so then when we got there..." His voice breaks.

Y/N suddenly understands why he put the glass in the van engine. Why he wanted the car to break down. He was lying the whole time.

He continues. "But at this moment, I fully realize there are no longer any agreeable options. I was screwed either way. I also lied about T. Brooks Ellis liking my hair. I do not know T. Brooks Ellis. But I did read one of his books, and he seemed like the type of guy that wouldn't blink twice at a Tennessee Top Hat. Again... I am smarter than you. Now you may wanna leave me here—"

Suddenly Abe stands and connects his closed fist with Eugene's face, pushing him against the front windshield of the truck that they walked all the way back to during the argument.

Tara and Glenn rip Abe off him as he gets in another direct punch, knocking him out cold and sending the non-scientist flat on his face against the concrete.

Abraham stands still. Rosita rests her hand on her gun holster. He looks at her hand, and then at his own where the cuts have opened again.

He turns and walks to the back of the truck, falling to his knees.

The others bend down to Eugene and flip him onto his back. His eyes flutter. Blood covers his face.

They call to him. They shake his shoulders. He doesn't respond.

Y/N sits on the ground. She puts her head in her hands. She wants to cry. She wants to scream. Hell, she wants to punch Eugene herself.

All this time. This whole idea that the world would change. He made it up. Just to save his own ass.

She gently places her hand to her stomach. A single tear slides down her cheek.

I'm sorry.
————————————————————————
Y/N looks out onto the fields where the hoard of walkers roam.

She walks back to the truck and stands near Tara as she fills water bottles.

"They've got no clue we're here." Y/N mumbles.

Tara nods. "That's great news for GREAT(?). In less great news for GREAT(?), we just scraped the bottom of the water barrel."

Y/N furrows her brows. "What is GREAT(?)?"

"Us. Group name. Solidarity. Band of brothers." She motions to the bottles, each one having an initial on the cap.

Glenn, Rosita, Eugene, Abraham, Tara, Y/N.

Tara hands Y/N her initialed bottle. "Thinking about getting it tattooed on my knuckles."

Y/N humors her with a slight smile. "GREAT(?) I like it."

Glenn walks up from his spot at the front of the truck. He was sitting with Eugene. Y/N looks at him. "Anything?"

"No."

She sighs. "Should we get him to the church?"

Glenn purses his lips. "Moving him could make him worse.

"What will make him better?" Tara asks.

Y/N scratches her arm. "Waking up."

Rosita sighs, grabbing the 'A' bottle and walking up to a still kneeling Abraham.

"Cmon. You haven't had anything to drink all day."

He doesn't move.

"Take the bottle. Seriously my 6-year-old nephew didn't pull this shit."

Suddenly Abraham slaps the bottle out of her hand, water spilling out onto the concrete.

She rolls her eyes, bending over slightly to get in his line of vision. "Don't do this, Abraham. Look at me."

"Don't." He says, barely audible.

She raises her voice. "Look at me!"

Abe stands up, towering over her, a look on his face that is deadly.

Y/N takes her gun out and aims it him, cocking it. He turns to face her. She doesn't falter under his gaze. "Sit down, or i'll put you down."

For a moment, it's a staring contest. He doesn't move. Neither does she. Finally, he goes back down to his knees and Y/N puts the gun away.

Tara huffs. "Well, what's next on the agenda?"

Glenn glances at Y/N to make sure she's okay. She nods at him, taking a shaky breath.

"We need more water." He says after a moment.

Rosita straps a gun onto her back. "There's a creek up the road, a few miles southwest of here."

Y/N nods. "I'll go."

Both Rosita and Glenn look at her like she's stupid. She sighs. "I'm going. End of discussion. I'm not staying here to babysit two grown ass men."

Rositas lip curls up into a slight smile.

Tara shrugs her shoulders. "How hard can it be? I'll watch them, you guys go get the water."

She hands the bucket to Y/N, who nods in return. "We'll be back soon."
————————————————————————