|| 14 ||

As expected, the dinner was anything but a small gathering

That is mafia politics at its finest.

I walk inside Vicious's home with Julian at my side and Karla at his.

Vicious has made it clear that there are no weapons of any sort and to leave all security details outside. I was initially skeptical, but everyone was getting a thorough pat down at the door. Scanning the crowd, I look for Vicious because I would love to have a word with him before dinner begins. I'm sure Ryder has already told his uncle I killed five of their men.

"Smile, you two." Karla clears her throat. "It's a dinner, not an elevator pitch."

"When you're in a room with over thirty powerful men and women that can kill you with a snap of a finger, smiling is the last thing you want to do," Julian says.

"Like anyone in this room would be stupid enough to lay a hand on either of you. That's a death wish." Karla rebuttals.

A death wish?

Someone is taking me as a joke because they did lay a hand on me when they took Emily. Someone in this room knows something. Scanning the crowd again, I spot Vicious talking to Garrett, the son of George Kim. The Kims run the Bay Area in California. I did a few pitches for them in my hotels out in LA. They had sinners lined up to be killed daily. So much so I had to vet a team that would personally run the pitches in California for me.

Julian, Karla, and I enjoyed sex, but too much sex with strangers became a turnoff, and watching Jules fuck men that preferred him over Karla didn't do it for me.

"I'll be back," I say, already walking in Vicious direction.

Garrett spots me first. "If it isn't the man of the hour. Hyung, long time no see."

"It's good to see you too, Garrett." I look over at Vicious, patting his shoulder. "I think this is the man of the hour. I'm just a guest like everyone else."

"Sebastian, and here I thought you weren't going to show. Where is your Queen? Somewhere with Julian?" He asks.

"Emily isn't here."

"What? I thought I told you—"

"I do as I please. You telling me what to do will never happen. I'm a Von Ziegesar, not a Valenti. Please try to remember that when you try to tell me what to do. I would hate for us to have bad blood."

"Hyung. So it is true. You are settling down. I must get an invitation to the wedding." Garrett smiles. Garrett is a rare gem in the mafia world. He's a hopeless romantic and thrives off of hugs and kisses. The man is an absolute fucking simp. "Do I know her?"

"No."

"Sebastian is dating Ryder's ex-girlfriend, Emelia."

Garrett's eyes widen. "I thought you said her name was Emily."