|| 22 ||

Last Night

 Last Night...

"Sebastian, we need to talk before Emelia arrives. There is something you should know." My mother walks into the dining room, holding a manila envelope. Well, nothing good comes from these fucking envelopes. She slides the folder across the table.

"If you think I will claim her as my Queen, that will not happen. I don't want to be with someone who—"

"You still think what I say is up for debate? It's not." She slams her hands on the table. "Open it."

I sigh, shaking my head. This damn woman here. I open the envelope, and there are pictures of a newborn and then a young girl around the age of three—I get a real good look at her face. "This is Emily?"

"Esmeralda Melody Romano. The only heir to the Romano family."

"Esmeralda? No, this is Emily."

It can't be.

It was said that the daughter died at three years old. While Kade Romano was across the globe handling business, someone ambushed his wife and daughter at a park. Then there were rumors that the child drowned, and the list continues. To this day, no one knows what really happened to Esmeralda, but it's said that her parents have been searching for her high and low. I just don't see how they haven't found her—money is no problem for them, and Josie, the mom, is an excellent hacker. That's how she and my mother became great friends. I know there is more to the story, but no one close to the Romanos will utter a word.

"It is her, they look alike, and when you and Emelia were intimate, did you notice a birthmark on her stomach?"

I noticed a mark on the lower right side. Almost shaped like a heart.

I nod.

"Shaped like a heart?"

I nod.

My mother sighs with relief. "She is Esmeralda." She says, more to herself than to me. "How did you find her?"

"I wouldn't say I was looking for Em. We kind of bumped into each other five years ago. Around the time, Vicious' nephew was sent to prison. If this is Esmeralda Romano. How come her parents—"

"Kade Romano is dying." Her voice was barely above a whisper. "They have been searching for her—ever since she was kidnapped. As you know, the Romanos moved from America decades ago after Esmeralda went missing. It was too much for Josie. They then trusted the wrong person to help them. That person is Vicious. It is more to the story that even I don't know. But Vicious knew where Esmeralda was this entire time. He was just waiting for the right opportunity to marry his nephew off to her and solidify his place at the top of the mafia world."

"So, what does this have to do with us?"

"As I said, Kade is dying. Joining forces with the Romanos is a power move no one will see coming."