9am

Free play time was wrapping up, and it was almost time for structured activities. Today would be finger painting, a notoriously messy activity. I walked over to the supply cabinet to start getting the paints out (washable, of course) and as I reached to open the door something felt off.

"Huh...this cabinet's a bit taller than I remember" I mused to myself as I reached and pulled out the bucket of paints. I shook off the feeling that something just wasn't quite right, and brought the paints over to the craft tables and started filling up tiny cups with little bits of different colored paints. I went back to the cabinet to grab sheets of paper, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. Maybe I was just used to the cabinets at home for too long, and they must be shorter.

"Get it together Kinley" I told myself. I must be losing it. I brought the sheets over to the tables and set them up so each kid had their own, plus a few extras in case there were any accidents.

After the kids had neatly put away their toys, Jill and Gemma led them over to the paint area and sat them down at their tables. Tina followed shortly behind and started to lead them in a finger painting masterpiece session.

Gemma, a fellow university student, walked over to me smiling and began to chat.

"Thanks so much for setting this up for the kids, Kinley, you've been a big help!" she beamed at me. From day 1 Gemma and I just clicked, and we became fast friends since. I know I can count on her to have my back, and she's always making my time here fun.

I looked up at Gemma and gave her a thumbs up

"It's a tough job but someone's got to do it!", she laughed and began chatting with me, but I couldn't make heads or tails of what she was saying. I was too focused on something else. I was looking UP at Gemma. But we're the same height! I glanced down to take a look at her shoes to see if she was wearing heels or something, and she was wearing flats.

My heart started pounded. This makes no sense! Gemma and I are the same height but somehow she got taller?

Gemma had a concerned look on here face

"Are you ok Kins?" Did I just totally zone out?

"Yeah I'm fine. I'll be right back, going to head to the bathroom real quick!" I quickly stated and shuffled off to the bathroom, hopefully splashing some water on my face would make me feel better and start thinking more clearly.

I entered the staff washroom and turned the tap on to cool, letting the water run for a bit before cupping it in my hands and splashing it on my face. It felt good, I felt myself calming down and cooling off a bit. I grabbed some paper towels and wiped my face off, tossing them in the garbage before looking into the mirror to give myself a pep talk.

But it wasn't me staring back. Or it was, at least not quite. I rubbed my eyes to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but staring back at me was 15 year old me!