7| Brin's Ship

Koda Elerik tried endlessly to re-enter the paths of Eroden Market. The winds caused by Kit's Maya was strong enough to keep anyone from proceeding, but that didn't stop Koda from trying. With his feet planted roughly into the sand, he tried his best to take steps onwards. Yet the gusts never failed to blow him backwards, sending him toppling down the steep dunes with Charity tangled in between in heels.

"Dearest, I'm not sure that's the greatest idea."

Olli and his twin sister stood in the distance, their lips twisted in their own versions of a grimace. Ever since Koda had been blown out of the market, they had been doing their best to coax him to safety. But just like before, he refused to follow them, no matter what they told him.

"That boy.....is he really the one causing those winds?" mumbled Brin. Her thick arm looped around her brother's, her eyes fixated on the sandy gusts blowing over the market. "I've never seen so much Maya produced at once in my entire life."

"He's The Scavenger, so it doesn't surprise me." Olli replied. "Everyone in Eroden knew that there was something particular about him. Judging by his strong connection to the Vata Root, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being linked to the Deities in some way."

When Koda was blown back yet again, buried in the sand underneath Charity's weight, he turned his attention to the twins.

"The Deities are a myth." he declared, shoving the dog off of his shoulders. "Capitolists ruled them out of textbooks over a century ago due to the lack of evidence of their existence. I'm surprised you Wanderers still believe in them."

"Oh, they are real." Brin said, slipping free from her brother. "Whether you believe in them or not, they exist."

As Koda regained his security on the ground, he began to dust off the sand that stuck to his clothing and sweaty skin.

"Look, I'm not going to argue over some fairytale right now." he huffed. "Kit is still in the market, and I need to make sure he gets out of there alive."

"You're not getting anywhere close to him with those winds, dearest." Olli sang, gliding towards him. "For now it's best to find shelter, I'm sure The Scavenger will catch up to us."

"Like I said before, you two go on." Koda muttered, placing his hand on top of Charity's head. "The mutt and I will wait for Kit here."

Brin stepped forward, her head tilted slightly to her right. Another wave of overwhelming gusts blew from the market, sending loose parts of huts flying wildly in the air. The twins ducked when a shawl came soaring after them, sweeping over Brin's head before continuing off into the distance like a boneless bird.

"I don't think that's the brightest idea." she stated. "Look, my ship is parked no more than a couple miles from here. There's plenty of room, you could wait for your friend in there until things out here settle. It's dangerous to stay out here."

Koda denied her request without a second thought.

"Thank you for your concern, but we'll be fine."

Olli raised his curved eyebrows before gesturing a fluid hand to Charity. Koda's eyes followed his gesture, scanning over the shallow cuts that marked up the dog's body. She was panting in exhaustion, yet the sounds of her breath were inaudible above the howls of the gusts that blew next to them. Although she kept her head high and happy, it was clear that she needed rest and treatment for her wounds.

"The Scavenger's pet looks in need of care, doesn't it?" Olli pointed out. "Come, dearest. We can get the canine's wounds checked out back at the ship."

Koda pressed his lips together in deep contemplation. He didn't want to leave Kit to fend off his mysterious attackers by himself, but he didn't want Charity's condition to worsen, either. He knew that if Kit were present, he would've nagged him to drag his precious dog to safety. Koda almost rolled his eyes at that thought. Although he didn't prefer the idea, he knew that the only appropriate way to proceed would be to follow the twins to shelter. Kit would have to defeat Josiah and his lackey on his own.