Chapter 25 Walker

The second Dani left the apartment I felt my heart stop beating. She was holding his hand. Like she is with him. Like she loves him. The way he looks at her is the same way I do. The same intense need to touch her. I hear a nose and look back to see her brothers fighting.

Derrek and Desmond are on the ground and Derrek slicks him in the face. Deacon is fighting Dawson. I can feel the anger in the apartment. It had been boiling in her for days and I can tell with the news Dani just revealed to us it tipped over.

" Enough boys." Their father says. " Get up. We shouldn't be fighting each other."

" What do you know, Dad? You lied to us for years." Derrek stands and pulls Desmond up too. Then when he stands pumped him again in the face. " That is for Dani." Then walks over to Dalton. " To think I looked up to you for years." Punches him in the jaw too. " That is for my mother."

He points to me and we go to walk out together. " You can't leave."

" Who the fuck said we cant? A made up rose color you created. Rose, you know the woman who gave birth to us and then you got killed. All for your damn pride." Deacon chimes in. " I knew there was something behind all of this. I knew something was off and I didn't want to get too close to any of you because there was always code laced in secret. I felt it every damn time." He walks over with us and looks back to the rest of the McKillip's. " Enjoy your war Dad with your three soldiers."

We all leave together and their dad knows he has lost in the worst way. He can't stop the fall of Troy this time.

When we get to the street Derrek turns right and continues walking. I don't ask where, we just follow. When we get to the bar He put the closed sign on and tells the bartenders to go home. He grabs three glasses and pours whiskey into them and downs the amber liquid. Cracking his neck.

"God that felt good to punk him." He says

" Which one?" Deacon asks

" Desmond, that smug prick has had a stick up his lawyer ass for years." We all laugh. " GOD DAMN IT!"

" We will be fine Derrek." Deacon says as we down our drinks. Derrek pours more.

" We have to get her back. She is my best friend. She is this family damn it." His voice cracks a little.

" We will." I say knowing how he feels. She was my world for a split second. Now I can't even think of a world without her.

" Do you think Dad and Sal will make her marry that scum Maddox?" Deacon asks

" Deacon, come on. Dad let mom die. He would sell Dani to the highest bidder if he got the chance." A glass fly's to the wall.

" You love her don't you?" Deacon asks me.

" In my own way, yes. I love her." I admit " I would do anything for her to be safe."

" Even if you can't have her?" Derrek chimes in.

" Unfortunately love is a feeling that can hurt you or make you happy. If she is alive and happy. I will be just fine." I feel the sting of truth in my words knowing even if she is left out of it I am in this for life now. I know too much. I might love her but the look she gave me today I can tell what she felt for me is gone now.

Asleep in the days of the past.

Locked away in books and dark nights.

I felt like pulling away. I felt the sadness set in. Downing my drink I slide it back for another. Watching Derrek pour it I can't help thinking I want to run away like I did all those years ago. Get in my plane and go down in my happy place like John Dever once did. Let her be happy and I wont feel my heart die a little bit at a time.