Chapter Twenty-Four

We didn't sleep much that night, which saw us dead tired on Christmas Eve. I don't think either of us cared. 

We'd bundled up and went for a walk around the grounds mid morning before lunch, when Natty caught up to us. 

"Well this is a surprise."

"What is?"

"The two of you arm in arm and not fighting."

Sebastian tried his hardest to keep a straight face but was failing horribly. "Yes, well, I pulled the 'It's Christmas let's be civil' card on her this morning."

"Are you sure that's all you did?"

"Natty!" I yelled at her and she laughed, scooping up some snow from a fountain we passed. 

"Sebastian, not to interrupt the two of you in your newfound civility, but might I borrow your sweetheart for a few moments?"

He rolled his eyes. "And just like that, it all goes out the window..." Despite this he kissed my cheek and walked himself ahead of us, leaving Natty and I purposely lagging behind.

"...You two seem a little more...mended."

"Not particularly. I think we've just...gotten a little too comfortable with how things are between us. It's a constant back and forth. We've hit a dip, but by the time term starts back up, we'll be tearing at each other all over again. And I hate to admit that I kind of like it."

"You are a strange one, Elena Varris."

I laughed a little bit. She wasn't wrong. "You needed to tell me something?"

"Yes. Poppy sent me and owl this morning. I'm sure she'd have sent you the same, but...you know. She didn't want to risk it. There's more movement happening. Something big. She didn't have explicit details, but she's positive this isn't a decoy. Her gran keeps tabs on these things too with the help of an insider and her information has never been unreliable. Sebastian Sallow, stop trying to eavesdrop!"

I turned my face forward, seeing Sebastian immediately straighten and pick up his pace. I bit my lip and tried not to start laughing. He was normally a lot more subtle than that.

Once I was sure he was out of hearing distance, I turned back toward Natty. "If it's more spiders she can count me out."

"No spiders. I think those Acromantulas gave everyone enough trouble that they've sworn them off."

"So, it's something even more dangerous. Wonderful."

"Not necessarily. Regardless, it's worth checking. If it's too bad, we leave."

"We?"

"Did you forget I'm coming with you? I'm not risking it after what happened with the Griffin."

My hand slid to my stomach, where I'd been cut with a wayward talon swipe as it fled from being freed in the middle of the fight that was happening. I was lucky it hadn't been worse. "Natty I really don't think-"

"Enough. I'm coming, whether or not you like it. And it's not like I can't follow you. They're moving...whatever they're moving through the north of Keenbridge in three days. I'll meet you on the seventh floor at sunset."

I nodded, Natty called for Sebastian to come back, then she took her leave. Sebastian's arm went into mine again as we continued walking like nothing happened. After a few minutes he finally spoke up. "Going out again?"

"Do you think I'm actually going to tell you that?"

"I suppose not, even though I know better. But. Not tonight, I'd imagine. I was hoping for a repeat of last night."