[8] Picking fights

Wandering around in an old museum, Caroline looked over the statue of founding fathers' heads among other famous people of the past

Wandering around in an old museum, Caroline looked over the statue of founding fathers' heads among other famous people of the past. Ellie followed her in awe. "What is this place?"

"It's an old museum. Some of these things are hundreds of years old." Tess answered.

"Really?" Ellie wondered. "Wow."

Caroline led Ellie over to some books that were in a glass case. "See these? This one is a replica of Anne Frank's Diary."

"Who's Anne Frank?" Ellie questioned.

"She was a young Jewish girl in hiding with her family back in World War 2. She kept a diary of everything they had to do to survive." Caroline carefully explained to her.

"Wow. Did she survive?" Ellie questioned. She began to think about keeping a diary herself. Maybe years after she's gone people will know her story.

"She died a lot later in a concentration camp sadly. But her story lived on." Caroline said. "Come on, let's find Joel."

The two redheads walked off through the many rooms of the old museum until they found Joel and Tess.

"Watch your head." Joel instructed as he lifted some fallen dusty beams so they could climb under.

Tess, Ellie, and Caroline huddled under quickly. Joel didn't have a chance to climb through as the beams snapped falling and blocking off the doorway to the next room. Joel was knocked backwards and the loud sound caught the attention of clickers.

"Joel! Joel!" Caroline called out to him worriedly, she shined her flashlight through the small opening between the wood revealing he was on the ground.

"I'm alive. I'll...I'll make my way around." Joel said with a few heavy breaths as he began to push himself up. Caroline looked over her shoulder and pulled Ellie close as the Clicker's cries got louder meaning they were close.

"They're here! Run. Run!" Tess instructed the girls, she pushed Caroline and Ellie forward covering them from behind.

"Care!?" Joel called her name but heard nothing. Caroline crouched down pulling Ellie with her as they ran into another room hiding behind a bookcase. Tess ran in front of them stopping against the wall she pointed up signaling to follow her upstairs.

The three girls ducked into a room as a runner followed them Caroline quickly shutting the door keeping it out but were faced with three others. "Ellie get back!" Caroline warned her as she and Tess split up taking on the runners.

Caroline tripped on a broken chair and fell, grunting as she landed flat on her back. One runner lunged at her grabbing at her legs as another lurched over her about to attack. Caroline yelled in pain as she threw a knife at the one above her in the head. She smacked the one on top of her with a piece of wood before stabbing it.