CH 6 - HAPPIEST DAY

"Come on, boys! This is your chance to shine. Show everyone what you have got," the Coach was encouraging the team before the basketball match.

"YES, COACH!" everyone shouted.

I was sitting in the audience with Soobin. The announcement was made about the final match of the tournament. The atmosphere was tensed. Everyone's eyes were on the basketball. The referee blow the whistle and the match started. Kai is the captain of his team. Not just Kai but his teammates were also quite impressive. The opponent team was putting their all efforts.

"Look! Look! Did you see how Kai throw the ball?" I said excitedly.

"Yes, yes." Soobin replied while recording the match.

I cheered, "East and west, Kai is the best! You can do it! KAI! KAI! KAI!"

Soobin was laughing and recoding my animated action in the video camera, "The way you are jumping and cheering for him is more fun to watch than the match." I grinned.

At the end, Kai's team won the match. I knew it! He was so full of spirits. I never saw him getting this hype up before. After the prize distribution ceremony, we went to the nearby restaurant for lunch.

"Where are you going now?" Soobin asked.

I replied chewing food, "Maybe, home."

"You don't have any plans?"

Kai looked at me and raised his eyebrows. I shook my head.

"What? There are plenty of things to do. There is amusement park, zoo, beach and so many places to go. You don't have this kind of opportunity every day."

"Whoa! Really? Kai, we should go!" I said with excitement.

He smiled, "Let's go then."

"Where should we go first, Soobin?"

"Don't drag me, you guys decide. I don't want to be a third wheel between you two. Moreover, I'm here to meet someone," he smiled.

"Eh... too bad. We are going to have fun, you know." I said teasing him.

"Yeah-yeah, enjoy your day."

We went outside the restaurant. We were crossing the road when I saw a man approaching Soobin. He stood up and hugged the man.

"Who is he?"

Kai turned to look, "His father."

"I see, they look close," I said.

"It appears they are close but it is only Soobin who is holding the bond between his father and him. For him relationships are important and his first priority."

I agree with him, "True."

Soobin always seems to be a cheerful person, but when you look closely most of the time he is forcing himself to smile, to be happy. Even though he pretends to be happy but in the end he is broken too. It's so hard when a person looks perfect from the outside but no one has a clue what goes on, in his inside. Sometimes, I think we all are stuck in an endless loop of grief and pain. We tend to hide our broken pieces because we are afraid that those we truly love will think we are weak. But being broken doesn't mean weak. Just like wounds of a soldier shows how well he fought in a war, it shows that the person was strong enough to endure the pain to a limit he couldn't tolerate and break down. It's strange but I find broken things beautiful.

"What are you spacing out for?" Kai said finger flicking on my head.

"Ah! That hurts." He chuckle then rubbed my forehead.

"Where shall we go first?"

"Wherever you want to go."

He smiled, "Amusement park?"