CH 7 - COLOUR OF THE MEMORIES

One hour before

"Hey!"

"What's your favourite colour?"

"Huh? Um... red. Why do you ask?"

"Ah, no- nothing really. What's this noise?"

I looked at Petto, "There is someone who wants to meet you."

"Is that so? Then, I'll come to see them."

"By the way, where are you? Is there someone playing guitar?" I said cleaning the lens of video camera.

Kai said stuttering, "I- I'm near the music dept. in my University so... ah that's why. Well then, see you later."

"Yeah." I waited for him to cut the call.

"Happy birthday, Hyun."

A smile appeared on my face, "Thanks!"

I put the phone on bed and walked towards the closet. I wore the sweater that Kai gave me. I switched on the video camera.

"I'm so happy today. I have so many things to say. First, ta-da! This is Petto," I hold Petto and brought him close to the camera. "Second, Kai made this beautiful sweater for me. The fabric is so soft and it's warm." I smile, "And today is my birthday! I'm eighteen now. I got presents from my grandparents. I guess, Kai is buying guitar for me." I laughed, "He can't lie without stuttering."

I gave bread crumbs to Petto. "This whole year felt like a long vacation. A lot of things happened and I'm grateful for all of that. Oh! Time for a good news, I got a donor! I'm getting heart transplant next week with the money of my hard work. I haven't told anyone about this yet, I'll tell them tonight." I took a deep breath, "The last thing I want to say is I am in love with the person with whom I spent most of my days playing games, eating food, going on different places, enjoying things together. The person who fulfilled my wishes, who thinks I'm special. Thank you so much. I may not be able to confess this to you ever, I'm afraid you'll hate me but just know that if there are innumerable versions of me I believe every one of them is hoping to meet you somewhere and be with you in each one of them."

I think I spoke too much but it's fine as long as nobody watch it.

"Hyun! Grandpa needs your help in the store," Grandma said from downstairs.

"Coming!" I switched off the camera, put it on the chair and took Petto before going down.

"I'm leaving." She stops me, "You always forget about it."

She hold my hand and took me to the garden. From my childhood, she's been taking my picture on my birthday.

"Say cheese."

"CHEESE," I grinned. "Grandma, let's take one together."

After taking picture, she caress my hair, "You used to be this small," she gestured, "and now look at you. You've grown so big." I smiled. She puts her hand on my chest, "I know you are not well. Even with this heart you are working so much. Don't stress yourself, okay. Even if we are old, you can rely on us. I and your Grandpa are always there for you. Don't hesitate to tell us anything."

I nod, "There is a good news. I'll tell you at night. Oh, Kai will come. Tell him to wait for me."

She gently smiles, "I'll prepare something tasty then."

Present time

The gravestone was covered in white flowers. Hyunbin Sato died at the age of eighteen, on his birthday due to cardiac arrest. His funeral was simple. Many people came. Everyone were mourning, their eyes were teary. Mostly his Grandma and Soobin were crying but Kai didn't. He didn't shed a single drop of tear. He was standing at the corner staring the picture, 'the last picture' of Hyun, which Grandma took, where he was wearing the black sweater, his brunet hair covering both ears, the dimples and nose crunch that formed every time he smile. Kai didn't even cried when he heard that Hyun was no more. It looks like he has become numb. Till now he hasn't spoken anything about Hyun. But he visits his grave every day. At first, his family thought he must be traumatised and so they decided to avoid any conversation about Hyun. But they didn't expect him to become this silent.