Two Big Events

Two big events happened this week : a going-away party for a teacher and Chalk Day. I'll talk about them in order.

The party wasn't as surprising as we hoped it would be, but it was otherwise great. I was able to talk with some other students and felt like I belonged for a bit. There was also plenty to eat, but I only cared for the desserts (besides, there were no vegetarian main courses). Most were good except for a cookie that was too hard and a banana pudding (which I never like as it always tastes too sweet to me, but the person who brought it asked me to have some and I am a people-pleaser). There was a trivia game about the teacher and a video created by the students for him, so I think we sent him off right.

Then was Chalk Day, which the school has done before, but I had never been given the chance to participate in it. The homeroom teacher has to buy squares for their students to draw in, so I guess none of my previous homeroom teachers were willing to pay. I was excited, but the experience itself was not great. It was hot, chalk is a difficult medium to work with, and almost every square was adjacent to one other square where people were working (thus forcing us to basically draw in the square while on the square). It was an uncomfortable experience at best, but the worst of it was when the principal came over. He commented on a nearby square, so I decided to ask his opinion on what we had so far (I was fairly confident in what my team had made, but my teammates were taking a break at the time). He then told me that he was sure it would look good once we tied it all together (we weren't planning to add much more). It was not good criticism, much less something nice to say to anyone making art, so I didn't tell my teammates about it.

So those are the two biggest things that happened this week. I hope your plans for the week ahead end up like the former rather than the latter.

La Escritora, signing out.