Chapter Fourteen

They were ready for them.

Sage walked up the hill, dragging the swords along the ground, the screeching sound announcing his arrival as he approached the small army that waited for him at the castle gates. A small group of Huntsmen.

Vergil Ravenheart, and Nicholas Renegade. Rank 2 and 3. The rest of the black ranks were nowhere to be seen.

"Suppose only the two of you gone along with Myra's little plan?" Sage asked, as he stood mere meters away from the pair.

"You catch on fast. And here I was thinking the great Sage Valethor would burrow into the ground, disappearing from sight. You know, Myra predicted all of this. Even now. She knew you'd come. Isn't that scary? How she knows all your moves before you even do it?" Vergil chuckled. 

Beside him, Nicholas's arms burned with a strange flame, the man remaining silent.

"You stand no chance, Valethor. It's better for everyone if you just surrender now." Nicholas's skull erupted in flames, as the man stepped forward, the heat forming a mini blaze around him. 

Vergil shrugged. "I agree."

Sage spun the swords in his hands, holding them out in front of him. He recalled what Vel had said to him in the dream.

Grief, sadness or anger.

Right now, Sage's heart had no shortage of those feelings.

"Where is Maeve?"

"She didn't want to come, so I had to make her." Vergil spat. "She's still alive, if that's what you're asking. But she looks nothing like what she used to, so I'd advise you get a new chick."

"Valethor." Vasylia's voice rang out like a warning, as she watched his hands tremble. "I believe our highest chance of success lies in taking out Nicholas first. I will stall for as long as I possibly can."

Sage's eyes shimmered turquoise green, as he reached deep into his heart, letting his mind run free. All this while, he shut those feelings out, unwilling to go through with the pain that accompanied them. And now, he could feel his eyes watering up, the tears, the regret, everything all exploding within himself.

Then he felt it. Already his legs had started to move.

"Omega!"

Sage lunged forward.

"Finish them."

Dark fumes leaked out of the blades, consuming the light all around them, revolving about them like a tornado of raw vampire energy. Nicholas leapt forward, his hands ablaze as the inferno around them blazed brighter still.

Vasylia clasped her hands together, her eyes going completely white."Malevolent abyss. Crystal Damnation."

The ground erupted in a mess of dark fumes as glassy crystals the size of small houses spiralled into the air, altering the landscape of the battle. Sage leapt on the rising crystals, like a growing number of steps, soaring mid-air. He started his spin, the blades revolving around him in a gigantic tornado of darkness. He could feel it - the power Vel talked about, boiling beneath his skin.

The spinning motion launched waves upon waves of raw vampire energy, bombarding Nicholas with an endless barrage of destruction. Vasylia thrust her hands forward, twin crystals sprouting from the ground as they reached for Nicholas in a ground assault.

Nicholas put up a shield from pure flames, as Vasylia's crystal spikes crashed against it, twisting and writhing as they threatened to penetrate the shield.