Chapter Seventeen

Sage could feel the prickly sensation of the soft grass underneath him. The sun blazed down against the earth, yet he couldn't feel the heat. The temperature was comfortable. Close by, he could hear the rushing sounds of a river, cascading over the rocks as the crystal clear waters glistened in the sunlight.

"We meet again, Sage."

Vel was sat beside him. And further behind him, a familiar watery figure had her arms folded. Sage sat up with a groan. Instinctively, he felt up his chest. No holes.

"Your physical appearance doesn't affect your state in the dream world." Agnus said.

"I see." Sage took a deep breath. The air was fresh as always, refreshing in nature. "I'm dead, I'm guessing. Pretty hard to come back from those injuries."

"You did well."

Sage glanced at Agnus. She gave a small smile as she spoke.

"I guess so. So, what happens next?"

"A new Leviathan Monarch will be chosen from among the new generation, back in your world. The balance of power will be restored, once again. This time, hopefully for a longer time. The young queen will take some adjusting to, but in time, she will fill the shoes that Verda once wore."

"I see." Sage had a sad smile. "I suppose this is retribution."

"I haven't finished speaking." Agnus's voice boomed, as Sage flinched slightly. "That is what I would tell you, had you proved yourself unworthy of the Leviathan's power."

Sage's eyes narrowed, as he glanced at Vel for support. The Leviathan winked.

"The Leviathan's power lies not in wrath, but in peace, despite it's nature of activation." Agnus eyed him. "You felt it, didn't you? It's not something that can be used willy nilly, not some weapon you can simply bring out at will. And that is the beauty of it, something your past self never understood. The price to pay for power beyond belief, is a pain that words cannot describe. That is the true nature of the Leviathan's strength."

"But it can't save me from death, can it? No one can do that."

"You are not dead. At least, not if I step in. Mere mortal beings cannot help you. Not even the best surgeons in your home world can help you." Agnus stepped forward. Her form was intimidating, her presence overpowering, no matter which way Sage looked at it. He took a step back involuntarily, just like he did before.

"Do not take this the wrong way. We will never be friends, or allies in the slightest. But for today, even for a second, you have earned my respect, Sage Valethor. And that is something far more valuable then whatever power you may attain."

Sage blew out a sigh of relief. "Didn't really want to die anyway. There's still a whole lot I wanna do, to see."

"Oh, don't you worry. There is still so much you have to learn about the universe."

Sage nodded. He remembered what Myra had said. "There are other Monarchs."

This time, it was Vel who spoke. "Seven Monarchs, in total. Yourself, the Leviathan. The little girl, the Vampire. And the other five: Demon. Fae. Titan. Machine. And finally, the Human."

"I'm guessing there're other worlds as well." Sage said. Both Leviathans nodded. "For each race, there is a separate dimension. And for nearly an eternity, the Monarchs have never crossed into another's world. Not until you. You've upset the balance of power, Sage. And in time, the other Monarchs will come for you."

"In a...bad way?" Sage didn't exactly like the idea of five super beings trying to kill him.

"Perhaps. Your adventure is just beginning, Valethor."