Chapter Eighteen

"Older sister...?" Sage's skepticism was written all over his face.

"I know what happened to our family. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, when you needed me the most." Enya said with a gentle voice. "Believe me, I tried. But by the time I had enough power to come back, all I had were stories about a world ravaged by a man who'd lost everything. I've been searching for you for a long time, Sage."

Sage knew he should've been more happy. But he was finding it very hard to believe her, despite their physical similarities. Maeve placed a hand on his. "She showed up three months ago. None of us believed her. But there is one thing that can prove her identity."

She pulled out the book they'd found back at Athena's home village. Sage stared at it, realizing he'd completely forgotten about it.

"This is the Codex, Sage." Athena signed. "It contains information on every single being who's ever held the power of a Monarch, past and present. It was passed down in my family for generations, guarded by the Vampire Monarch. If you look at it, you will see Enya is not lying."

Athena flipped it open to a page, as Sage peered at it. It did look like her, at least a younger version. He sighed.

"Fine. If the queen says so, then I guess it's true." He couldn't keep the slight tinge of doubt out of his voice. "Sorry. I just need some time to process everything. Don't really do well with information dumps."

Enya grinned. "I understand. A party was probably not the best place to unload this on you. Take some time to think about it, and when you're ready, I'll tell you everything."

Sage shrugged, as she disappeared into the crowd. Valentine rubbed his hands together with glee, as he slapped Sage on his back. "Alright then. I've had enough of standing around, talking about different dimensions and enemies we don't even know of." He waved over a waiter, as he swiped the entire bottle of wine off the tray.

"Tonight, we celebrate!" He yelled out, as a chorus of cheers echoed around the crowd. Ingrid in particular looked as if she was going to fall over at any moment, as she climbed to the top of a table, starting a loud cheer.

Sage sighed. If anything, he had a whole lot more on his mind now then just an hour ago. But it was hard to do any productive thinking with the lively atmosphere.

"Come on. We can deal with all that tomorrow." Maeve grabbed his arm, as she half-dragged him right into the heart of the party. "About time we had a break."

And that, he couldn't argue with. 

---

Sage sat quietly at the edge of his bed. He hadn't drunk much - despite Ingrid and Isaiah's best attempts. Sage was pretty sure that between the two, they'd consumed at least seventy percent of the alcohol that night. It was a miracle either was still standing by the end of the party.

He looked up through the window, as the moon hid behind a mass of clouds.

He'd wanted to know the truth behind all this. Yet somehow, now that he knew more then ever, he felt strangely out of place. Maybe it was because of the unspoken weight on his shoulders, now that he knew what he was. Part of him still lived in the past, when his friends were still alive. Maybe life had been better then.

But things would change from now. Valentine had talked about an ancient enemy. And from the looks of things, Sage would be a key player in what was to come. What was coming exactly, he didn't know.

And Enya's appearance. The final thing on his mind. An older sister? He'd just begun to accept the fact that his family, the people he'd been searching for during his time on this world were dead. It was such a curveball that he didn't know what the appropriate reaction was. Perhaps silence was better when he had nothing good to say.