M i s j u d g e d || Chapter Three

"Owen, go and ask the boy what he wants, he's been sitting there for over 20 minutes now." I looked up at my mum, my focus directed towards the double beef and cheese burger I was eating, slowly drifted to a scruffy looking guy sitting alone in a corner booth, just dramatically staring out the window intently. I couldn't help but notice that he looked around my age, and he looked a little familiar, however I couldn't fully recognize him.

"Leave him. He's probably being stood up by his girlfriend or something." I replied, going back to eating the heavenly goodness currently in my hands.

First bite in, my teeth slowly sinking and piercing through the layers; The rich golden burger bun, with its signature yellow crumb, buttery-sweet flavor, soft but with a substantial texture. Next, the perfectly melted comté cheese, pooling around the juicy, thick meat. It was pure bliss.

"Oh for goodness sake Owen, quickly eat up the burger, your break was over five minutes ago." She exclaimed, gently hitting me with a wiping cloth, making me snap out of my daze. I glared at her back watching her walk away from me and enter the kitchen. How dare she? Does this woman not understand the art of food, and not to disturb someone when they are having their delightful meal?

Nonetheless, I quickly gobbled down the burger, slightly regretting it when I slightly choked on the beef, making retarded gagging noises, whilst I grabbed onto the edges of the white, sleek countertop.

This went on for about 2 to 3 minutes or so, until a full glass of water came out of nowhere and was placed in front of me. Without wasting another second, I chugged the water down my throat. Stupid food being rebellious and trying to go down the wrong freakin' pipe.

I calmed myself down, taking deep breaths, thanking god that I was ok. After my little fiasco, I turned my head around to see where that glass of water had even come from, but I had just barely managed to catch a glimpse of a black tee making its way out of the diner and disappearing around the corner.

Eh, oh well.

I stood up from the bright green counter stool, pulling up my baggy jeans, and made my way behind the counter to start working again. I grabbed the cleaning cloth mum left on the counter, and started cleaning vigorously all the table tops in the diner. This diner was my home away home. This diner was my parents' proud possession. This diner was practically family.

"H-hello? Excuse me sir?" a timid voice spoke. I freeze mid-clean starting to think that the spirit of the cow I had just eaten was coming out to haunt me. I panicked a little until I looked up to see a guy standing in front of me.

Man, I really need to stop binge watching horror movies after one another.

I recognised the guy because of his shirt being buttoned up right to the top, and him wearing clean, creaseless dress bottoms. It was none other than Noah Gallagher. The boy who thinks he's discreet in being gay, but has no idea that the whole school knows about his "not-so-secret secret" sexual orientation. It still surprises me how he hasn't noticed that suddenly, people shift away from him, or they keep glancing at him as if he's some sort of creature.

"Yeah, hey, i'm right at you service- Uh, I mean, what can I do for yeah?" I slightly winced at the end. Holy bacon strips, that sexual innuendo is too obvious, dang it, what if he takes it the wrong way and thinks i'm trying to wind him up? Nonetheless, he slightly smiled and brought his hand out as if expecting me to shake it. I just stared at his hand for a few seconds, not knowing what to do, because I wasn't sure if he was trying to make a move on me or...

"S-sorry, um, I was wondering if the Westwood Wonders does catering?" He stuttered, retracting his hand back, and just staring at the ground.