Chapter 10: Hunter's Truth

During a manhunt, the heroes must spearhead as scouts and then leading the main force of whom laid in wait in their respective police stations or at certain checkpoints away from civilian traffic. Once the target was found, the scout alarmed the rest of the forces into exigent actions, converge the criminal from all sides and box him or her in - cutting the person off from any potential escape and gun them down.

The scale depended on the danger level the individual pose, and for Garou, the government reserved one of the largest welcome party in Japan's history, all of the members designed to disarm Garou's defenses and capture him with overwhelming numbers and might - All Might exempted, however.

No matter how many times the heroes asked, the coordinating leader, Sir Nighteye, did not divulge the reason why All Might did not join them. Days before, Endeavour was especially perplexed by his absence, expecting the Symbol of Peace to jump at the chance to take down the public menace, but later quelled his concern in favor for the promise of glory.

Now, the lead scouting squad ventured the trail, a group of five lead by Hound Dog - the light-brown Lycan sniffed the concrete as the other four scouting the area around their tracker. To avoid attention from the masses the heroes dispersed, maneuvering through the streets or across the rooftops. None of the civilians approached Hound Dog unlike the days before the Hero Hunter. No children were running up to Hound Dog asking for autographs, no parents asking for pictures. They knew why he was here, aware of the manhunt for The Hero Hunter, The Nightmare of Heroes. The Hunter Amongst Villains.

The scent of which he tracked later lead to another trail, the other more recent than the current.

One trail depicted Garou leaving the crime scene, reeking of blood from head to toe. The other...

'He is mocking us.' Hound Dog growled, flashing his glistening teeth behind his retracted lips.

The latter trail was fresh, showing Garou returning to the crime scene erstwhile. Hound Dog knew of the Hero Hunter's... glaring accouterments. According to Sir Nighteye's summary of Garou, the man was unpredictable in mind and action, a being that thrives in violence outside the border of common sense.

And so recently too, the other scent a few hours old, as if the Hero Hunter was openly mocking them, taunting them brazenly.

Hound Dog swore to apprehend Garou this day, in the name of all the heroes he'd defeated and sent to the hospitals.

Traveling across the rooftops, Eraserhead and Snipe watched Hound Dog below as the warm, humid breeze of the summer air caressed their skin and gently billowed their respective scarves.

"Hey, Eraserhead. I've been wondering on one thing for a while."

Snipe asked wanting to kill some time.

"What is it?" Eraserhead responded, his voice slightly exhausted and dull.

"Ever wonder why Garou never killed any of us?" Snipe asked.

"Well..." Eraserhead had no idea. So far, all the villains he apprehended were just violent and without any meaningful or coherent purpose, delinquents rampaging for the sake of violence. Garou was an even stranger animal, however.

"I don't know. But I can tell there is a semblance of some motivation behind his actions."

Garou's proclivities were unique unlike the rest, the first that preferred leaving heroes severely injuries in body and spirit en masse, but still left them alive nonetheless.

"Maybe he trying to scare people into not becoming heroes or villains." Snipe guessed.

"That... might be possible."