Chapter 4: Waiting For Word

"What about your parents, your family?" Brett poked his head into the kitchen.

          "I was born with the time jumper genetics due to my father's manipulation. Mom disowned me immediately, she didn't want a child that was mutilated. Dad refused to raise me alone, so I was raised by scientists and the time jumpers I work for."

        "You've never had a mom and dad?" Brett was not happy with this.

       "Correct, I don't have a family only bosses."

        "So call me Mom," she gave him a side hug and kissed his forehead. "Everyone deserves a family, consider us yours."

         "Thank you, I will do that." Recke relaxed a bit, knowing that right now it was in his best interest to get them on his side.

        "That's kinda twisted considering he keeps staring at Cal's butt."

         "Brett" his Mom gave him a look. "Your spouses are allowed to call us Mom and Dad."

         "I need permission to even date from my bosses, they consider that to be a weakness."

          Brett bust out laughing "Cal is no weakness, she can kick anyone's ass."

          "I've noticed, she held her own against the last set of jumpers." Recke chuckled.

           Dad walked in "how soon can you send the tribe forward?" for the first time he was very concerned.

         "As soon as I get word and get something opened up to do so. When I get my new com I'll talk to the boss about it, so 24 hours at the earliest."

         "Alright we pack, the deal is we take what we want, not what you or they tell us we can take with us. If that means we take structures then we take them." He took a breath "We want to spare the town, if we stage a fire... make it look like the land, buildings and trees were all destroyed with us then we can prevent any deaths in town."

         "Deal, trust me they won't argue because they need your genetics. Every time we find a tribe they are killed before we can move them forward."

         "So we need to be alert." He nodded at Brett then grabbed the phone and placed the video call to the tribal leaders that were waiting for word. When they picked up he left the room.

        Cal came in and noticed Mom was worried. "Mom, it will be fine."

        "We have the ability to go, because of our race you don't. I can't bear the thought of leaving you behind."

       "You have my word, she will come with me." Recke was serious. "As soon as we can I want to recheck the mine... see if the jumpers came there."

       "If they did?" Brett was curious

       "Then they don't all know about Cal." He saw there faces "yes we could be dealing with more than one group. One might know... but the others." He shrugged

       "Can that scan me?" Cal sat down next to him and pointed at his cube.

        "Yes but I only have certain information in it, the bosses have the full database." He held it out to Cal "scan her, tell me her genetic parentage."

        "Jeeze your bossy." It sassed him then went to work. It took only two minutes then it buzzed. "We're in luck, I have answers. She is the grandchild of Tozz. Good luck with that."

        "Shit." Recke laid his head down on the counter trying to catch his breath.

         Dad came in and looked at his wife, "calm down dear, it's okay." quickly he cuddled her to comfort her fears "I take it you know that person."