༻10༺

JIHYUN POV

JIHYUN POV

"You couldn't ride up here like a normal person?" I ask Brooklyn.

"Keeps appearance," she deflects.

I glance at her through the rearview mirror. She was sitting in the backseat as I drove. She looked.. blank. Considering all that was thrown at her other the past few weeks, I'd at least figure she'd have something there, but she had.. nothing.

"You uh.." I sigh and clear my throat. "You reminded me of your mom back there. Bossing people around. I think Deanna had to pace around the room to make those gears turn, too."

"My dad always said that mom and I had the same nervous ticks," she admits.

"Nervous?" the word slips out. "You didn't look nervous."

"I have a great poker face. Another trait from my mom."

She looks out the window to the people walking down the sidewalks.

Was she starting to look.. human?

"I know how hard it is. Losing people. I've lost a lot over the years, so.. I understand," I help out- maybe I could pick away at the ice she'd put up.

"Yeah?" she asks, resting her head on the seat and meeting my eyes in the mirror. "You wanna play tennis on who has more trauma?"

I huff. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Go on. I found out that my father was murdered. Did you know the asshole that did it? Is he still with you guys?"

"Yes, I knew him. No, he's deceased."

Brooklyn puts her heel on the console and picks at a string on her expensive pants. "How'd it happen? Did you see it?"

Maybe she needed to hear it. Maybe she just wanted me to pity her.

"This guy- Pete.. He was abusing his wife and kids. The old leader of our group, Rick, got into a fight with him. Deanna was holding a meeting with everyone to see i Rick would get kicked out. Pete came in with a weapon. He was drunk and angry. Reg tried to stop him and it just.. happened."

"How'd Pete die?"

"Rick shot him after Deanna told him to."

Brooklyn goes quiet.

I turn the car. We were halfway to Pamela's office. This had to be the longest car ride of my life.

"How'd your parents die, Jihyun?"

I nearly swerve as I startle. "What?"

"You know my shit. I might as well know your's."

I hadn't talked about my parents in years. The last person I talked about them with was.. Tara.

"My mom was one of the first infected. Like.. top twenty shit," I admit. "They moved her from the hospital to the Atlanta, Georgia CDC. My dad and I lived there with other families that were some of the first ones in."