002

WE STOOD AT THE TRAIN STATION WITH OUR BAGS, and our teeth chattered as we lined up in the frosty winter air. Mom decided to make us go early because our train often has long wait times.

"Early, eh?" the station patrol said. "Good for you. After all, the early bird catches the worm!"

"Don't-" my mother tried to interrupt, but the metaphor had already been said.

I transformed into a bird, and my instincts turned all my willpower into catching a worm. I grabbed a worm, let out a proud "ka-kaw!" and swallowed it.

Once I turn back into a human, I spit out the worm. "That one happens a lot."

The station patrol's face turned green. 

A little boy who had lined up behind us pointed at me and shrieked, "MOMMY! She's a freak!" His mother turned and looked in concern in my direction. As soon as she saw the patrol's face, she yelled at my mother. "Keep your daughter away from us, she probably gave that poor patrol cholera!"

My face heated up. "Don't talk to my mother like that, you sorry excuse for a person! Your son is probably sick by now from sticking his finger in his nose so many times." 

Mom yanking my arm reminded me that the train had arrived. She dragged me onto the train and hissed, "Why did you say that?! You just embarrassed me in front of so many people. Why would you do something like that?"

We sat down in our seats and I groaned. Why had I said that?! Mom was so angry now. It was all because of that stupid curse. I swore under my breath to get revenge on that man, no matter how dangerous it was.

I heard a giggle behind my chair and saw the little boy who had humiliated me. I hissed just quiet enough for only him to hear, "I will get you back."

────────────

THE TRAIN TURNED A CORNER TO REVEAL A COZY-LOOKING VILLAGE TUCKED IN BETWEEN THE MOUNTAINS. I gasped in surprise. I did not expect Yce to be a cozy, picturesque village, and I looked out in wonder as the fluffy snowflakes fell from the sky. It all seemed like a dream.

Mom grinned. "I told you." I rolled my eyes, determined to prove her wrong, but that seemed impossible now that I had seen the village.

"We could take a walk on the village roads, go to Cindy's Cupcakery..." my mother sighed, daydreaming.

I crossed my fingers that I was lucky. I hoped the person Mom had found would live anywhere in Yce but Algid Lake. If so, this would be a perfect trip.

"Another thing you should know, sweetie," my mother said, "the person we're going to see lives by Algid Lake."

I cursed under my breath. I really just had to jinx it, didn't I? Frustration crawled up my neck like an army of termites. Why, just why?

Before I came here, the stories about Yce were bad enough. Algid Lake, however, was on a whole other level of bad. Every story concerning Algid Lake, fiction or nonfiction, contained the words CERTAIN DEATH.

Why was I so unlucky?