Chapter 7: Nighttime Kisses

Jed fiddled with his fingers as he walked through the Roman display. He could feel their judging stares. He could feel their glares. They must've heard about the end of his and Octavius' relationship. 

He felt godawful about it. There was no one other than himself to blame. 

Eventually, he made it to Oct's place. He knocked on the marble pillar, praying to god that Octavius would hear, which he did.

"Come in." Oct's voice sounded so down and unhappy.

Jed went inside and smiled sheepishly. "Hello, partner."

"Oh, Jedediah. What brings you back here?"

"I..." Jed trailed off. "I gotta 'pologize for the other night."

Oct patted the spot next to him, which Jed happily took. "There is nothing to apologize for."

"I messed up."

"Messing up is natural."

Jed shrugged and looked down. "I understand if ya don't wanna talk to me."

"I do. I can't help if I don't know why you're upset."

"I got married."

"What?"

"The mayor wanted me to get married, so I did. I dunno why it was so important to him, but it was. I... I hate it so much. I don't want to be with her."

Octavius frowned and gently took Jed's hands into his. "Why haven't you spoken to anyone about it?"

"'Cause it ain't no one's problem but mine."

"We can help you."

"I know, I know." Jed sighed and squeezed Octavius' hands. "I don't want the mayor to hear."

"Have you spoken with your wife?"

Jed nodded. "She an' I agreed to put up a show."

"I see."

"Octy, I'm sorry for how I reacted 'fter our kiss."

Octavius smiled gently. "I don't mind. I do have a request."

"What is it?"

"Do it again."

Jed's face went red. "Ya want me to kiss ya?"

"If you wouldn't mind."

Jedediah pressed his lips against Octavius'. God, it was everything he wanted and more.

"Hot damn," Jed muttered when they pulled away.

Octavius chuckled and pecked Jed's lips. "Hot damn indeed, my dear."

Jed looked away, pretending to pout. "Shuddup."

"Look at me."

Jed looked at him, tilting his head. Octavius smiled and kissed him once more.