Chapter 5: Time to Choose and Wedding Night

Jed stood in the mayor's office, the mayor and his three suiters standing before him. He was still torn up from the night before but refused to let it show. He wasn't ready to decide, but no time was left.

The mayor was expecting his answer. He didn't like it.

"Well, my boy, who are ya choosin'?"

Jed thought. "I 'pose Roxanne."

Love seemed disappointed by this choice, but Sadie seemed almost relieved. Roxanne didn't look particularly pleased, but she nodded.

"Excellent choice, Jedediah Smith. I had the tailor make a dress for my daughter every year for her birthday."

"When is the wedding, Mr. Mayor?" Love asked, her voice sickly sweet.

"Tonight."

Jed's heart stopped. He wasn't ready to get married. He didn't want to get married! 

He wanted Octavius.

The three girls left the room, and the mayor escorted Jedediah out. His hand was on Jed's back, something Jed was very uncomfortable with but said nothing about.

He was put into a suit, and his hair was combed. His hat was still at Octavius' place. He couldn't get it back, so he borrowed one of the tailor's new ones. 

If only it weren't a wedding to Roxanne.

Maybe he could convince her that it could only be for show. Perhaps he could find happiness through someone else while with her. Preferably Oct, but that was something long gone.

A tie was tightened around Jed's neck.

"Good luck, son."

"Thank you, Johnny. I 'preciate it."

"Of course."

==Time Skippy Skip==

Roxanne was walking down the aisle, but Jed felt nothing for the woman nearing him. He wanted to see Octavius in her place.

A few tears fell from his eyes, but they could easily be mistaken for happy tears as a wide grin was plastered on his face. It wasn't a real one.

He tuned out the pastor, mumbled his speech, and barely listened to Roxanne's. She clearly didn't want this as much as he wanted.

The kiss at the end felt nothing like the kiss did the night before with Octavius.