Family matters

"Hey, Jenny! It's so nice to see you," I greet her with a smile.

"Oh, really? I was worried I might be disturbing your sleep."

"No, not at all. It's actually a little early for me."

"I thought so. I've noticed how interested you've been in the family tree, for obvious reasons, I believe. You're soon to become a part of the family. I've brought you something. This is my family book. Well, it wasn't started by me, but since our Mom left, I am in charge," she says, giving me a warm smile.

"Oh, Jenny, thank you so much! Would you stay and walk me through it?" I eagerly ask.

"If you'd like me to, sure," she kindly agrees.

She starts flipping through the pages, sharing stories of their family's long-gone days.

"And this is Alasdair's grandmother - my aunt," she points out.

I gaze at the drawing of a stunning woman who bears a striking resemblance to me in terms of ordinary features.

"Is she a vampire?" I curiously inquire.

"Well, no. She's a human," Jenny clarifies.

"Oh, just like me," I remark.

"Yes," she confirms.

"That's why your sister said she doesn't belong here"

She gives me a shrewd look in response.

"Vampires are a monolithic nation. Mixed marriages are highly discouraged," she explains.

"Well, exceptions can be made for the king, as I see," I comment.

"You mean Alasdair's father?" she asks, seeking clarification.

I nod, wondering who else I could be referring to. Perhaps Alasdair himself was a potential candidate for their proposed arrangements. It wouldn't surprise me, considering he's actually their distant relative. However, I can understand why he didn't choose any of the sisters as a bride—except maybe Jenny. She's a remarkable person, and maybe their age difference played a role.

"Well, you won't find his portrait in our gallery either," she reveals.

Indeed, I hadn't come across it.

"Why was Alasdair's mother allowed to marry him?" I inquire.

"Allowed? I don't think she was allowed, but rather forced into it. Sorry for the confusion. That's just how our people are, unfortunately. Yes, she was married off for connections, but primarily because she wasn't entirely a vampire. Besides, she wouldn't have made a suitable match here anyway. And in the end, it wasn't all that bad," she explains.

I recall Alasdair's bitterness towards his father and find myself doubting her words.

"Oh, and these are Alasdair's drawings. Would you like to see?" she asks.

I nod enthusiastically, eager to explore Alasdair's artistic creations. We go through his childhood pictures, ranging from simple circles and squares that could be displayed at an abstract art exhibition, to portraits of his mother and father, and even depictions of playful fights. It's clear that he had a boyish spirit.

"Alasdair has always been very keen to fight for what he likes," she remarks.

"That's why he prefers orc fights?" I inquire.

"Well, I don't know the full story, actually. In fact, I know very little. When he encountered the orcs, we were in a period of mourning, and I had little knowledge of what happened to him. However, if you're interested, there should be plenty of information about the war in the archives, like the History Tower in Nightmare City. You could check it out," she suggests.