Bucky and Katarina sat in silence as he tried to forget what had happened to him.

After a moment, Katarina spoke up. "I'm sorry for what you went through."

Bucky glanced at her with a wary gaze. "Are you gonna turn me in again?"

"How do you know that?"

"You'd be surprised how soldiers talk. Why did you do that to me?"

"All I was told was that it would better the future and that we needed a subject. That was you. But when I found out the truth of what they were planning, I knew I had to get you out of there."

"Why?"

"Because they're not trying to make a hero like Captain America. They're trying to make a weapon."

"Cap could be argued as being a weapon."

"Originally he wasn't meant to be. He was created to sell war bonds and to encourage the home front war effort. But your friend is stubborn enough to get himself on the front lines."

Bucky turned back to his glass. "Thank you for the rescue, Kata. Truly. You're not like your superiors."

"And I'll pay for that."

"What do you mean?"

She scoffed. "What do you think happens when HYDRA is betrayed by one of its own?"

"Nothing good I think."

"I have a price on my head."

"I'll keep you safe, Kata."

She smiled wryly. "Yes, I'm sure you will, Sergeant."

Steve watched them for a moment, then joined them as people sang There's a Tavern in Town.

"See, I told you," Bucky said, shooting Steve an annoyed look. "They're all idiots."

"How about you ?" Steve asked. "You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death? What about you, Kata?"

"Hell, no. That little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him. But you're keeping the outfits, right?"

"You know what? It's kind of growing on me."

Katarina nodded. "I've chosen my side. I'm with you, Steve. And if I should so lose my life, then so be it."

The singing in the bar ceased as Peggy, in a tight-fitting, deep-red dress, walked in. "Captain." Her gaze shifted to Katarina.

Katarina moved back with a faintly nervous expression.

"Agent Carter. She's on our side."

"Ma'am," Bucky greeted.

"Howard has some equipment for you to try," Peggy told Steve. "Tomorrow morning? Miss Rogers, you're welcome to come as well."

"Sounds good," Steve replied.

"I see your top squad is prepping for duty."

"You don't like music?" Bucky asked, earning a small smile from Katarina.

"I do, actually," Peggy answered. "I might even, when all this is over, go dancing."

"Then what are we waiting for?"

"The right partner. 0800, Captain."

"Yes, ma'am," Steve said. "I'll be there."

Bucky, referring to Peggy's comment, said, "I'm invisible. I'm... I'm turning into you. It's like some horrible dream."

"Don't take it so hard. I'm sure Katarina would say yes to a dance."

Bucky turned to Katarina and offered his hand. "May I?"

Katarina nodded, accepting his offer.

As they danced, Bucky said, "So what are your plans now?"

Katarina shook her head. "I don't know. Try not to get take by HYDRA I suppose. Can we please not talk about this?"

Bucky nodded. "Yeah, sure."

He studied her, as though he was seeing her for the first time in a new light. Her long blonde hair was down in neat, soft curls. Her blue eyes glistened in the light. Despite the calculating gaze they seemed to have, there was a gentleness there. Her hands were delicate and her touch soft and light. She smelled of vanilla; a scent of home to him. Ironic that he'd found that in a former enemy.

A small smile crossed her lips as she danced in the arms of the man she'd saved. Her gaze turned to his, and she studied his steel blue eyes. His gaze held a harshness similar to her own, but there was a gentleness there. His touch felt oddly welcoming.

The pair danced as the night carried on. Neither wanted to dwell on what would likely come, but simply wanted to live in the moment.