Ch. 37 Fight at the Rooftop

The sun was setting as Naruto made his way to Ichiraku's. He was a little slow on his step, having trained the whole day, with his face carrying an expression of exhaustion. Today's training had been a little more than demanding. His clones, as usual, had spent the day training on the taijutsu, with a few reading the book on sealing, while he and Anko sparred. Only this time she had him go through several exercises that would increase his speed.

'You might be a Chunin but I've seen old hags move faster than you!'

Those had been Anko's word before she made him run through the exercises. The first one had been simple, he only had to enter the river and walk against the current. It had been the second exercise where things had gotten more complicated. He was to do the same thing, only this time he needed to dodge rocks thrown by Anko. But nothing could prepare him for the final exercise of the day.

Anko had summoned a rather large snake. Naruto still remembered the sadistic grin Anko sported as she explained the exercise.

'Keep the snake from eating you for a total of ten minutes!'

Naruto shuddered, horrible snake-related memories flooding his mind. He had barely escaped the damned snake but it had only been due to using a variety of jutsu. Those snakes were tough and wouldn't go down with anything but at least he had managed to live through today's 'training.'

He sighed, shoulders slumping slightly, he was tired. This wouldn't be a bad thing if it was regular training but with Anko, being tired could cost him his life. The crazy kunoichi was bound to kill him one day, he was sure. So sure in fact that she was on his list in 'people to watch out for,' the first place being proudly held by Inoichi.

"Naruto! Over here!" he heard Ino call from the distance, waving her hand with a smile on her face.

Naruto smiled, he had been looking forward to this. Earlier that day, he had run into Ino while on his way to the training grounds. He had asked her to go to Ichiraku ramen with him after their training was over. She had gladly accepted and promised to meet him.

"Hey Ino," Naruto greeted with a hug. "Sorry if I kept you waiting long," he laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head.

Ino shook her head, "It's alright." She took hold of her boyfriend's hand and pulled him through the streets. Throwing a glance at him, she took note of his wore down expression and couldn't help but ask, "How was your training today? You look pretty tired."

An image of a giant snake flashed through Naruto's mind, his body shivering in fear. "I-it was alright," he let out with a quiet chuckle.

The two continued to walk in confortable silence, simply enjoying each other's company. It had been a while since they had been simply walking through town. It was comforting. Ino leaned her head on Naruto's shoulder, letting out a tired sigh.

"My training was draining," she whispered as her eyes closed, "Master Tsunade had me work on my chakra reserves again. I have close to no chakra left."

Naruto smiled. "Don't worry about it Ino!" his tone playful. "After all you're about to get ramen and there's nothing like it to get your strength back!" he declared, eyes lighting as he gazed at the stand only a few more paces away.

Ino giggled as the two entered the stand, taking a seat as soon as possible. The kunoichi let out a yawn as she leaned on the table, resting her head on her hands. She suddenly perked up when a bowl of steaming ramen was placed in front of her.

"Here you go!" Ayame smiled, "The first one's on the house!"

"Hey, how come I didn't get one?" Naruto complained with a pout.