Elle

Josh awoke suddenly, wrapped under thick layers of woolen sheets. Pushing through the comforting warmth, he sat up confused as to how he'd gotten there. Staring at the spot where he'd lain earlier, no traces of dirt, nor any muddy footprints could be seen. He was certain he'd passed out on the floor in his muddy apparel, yet here he was, resting on his bed dressed in the same clothes he'd adventured in, though they were relatively cleaner. 

'Did all of that really happen in my head? It felt much more realistic than the fragmented dreams in his coma. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a habit,' he thought, as a slight floral scent trickled past his nose, 'Where's that smell coming from?'

Seeing no items that could produce such fragrances, he looked down at his own clothing.

"No way," he said aloud.

Pressing his fingers into the midsection of his shirt, a perfumed scent of wild flowers in full bloom, invaded his senses. 

"Where have I smelled this before?" he muttered to himself, unable to recall the origins of the scent. 

Caught up in the honeyed fragrances, Josh jumped as his door swung open suddenly. 

"Welcome back Herm-," Josh said, words faltering as a teenaged girl strode through the open door confidently. 

"Oh, you're finally awake," she said casually. 

"Wh-Who are you?" he asked startled by her sudden appearance. 

She rolled her eyes as if the question annoyed her, "The name's Elle. You're Josh right?

Josh nodded slowly. 

"You look as though you're not sure who you are," she said studying his reactions, "whatever, not my problem. Herman sent me to get you. He said they're excavating a huge batch of Lorian and it couldn't hurt to have you tag along to see how its done."

Josh stared at her intently, questions forming in his mind. He couldn't help but get the feeling Elle looked extremely familiar. 

"Is there something on my face," she said averting her eyes, "I-It's impolite to stare at others!"

Suddenly aware of his actions, he looked away as he spoke, "Sorry. Elle was it?"

She nodded, acknowledging her name, tying her long brown hair into a ponytail. 

"I don't mean to seem rude, but how do I know Herman actually sent you?" he asked skeptically. 

"Well at least you're not stupid," Elle responded, taking out an oddly shaped silver key, "does this answer your question?"

Josh accepted the key, inspecting it closely. Crossing to a desk at his bedside, he opened a draw, retrieving a similar key that Herman had presented to him after Joana's departure. 

Confirming their identicality, he returned the one Elle gave him before responding, "Seems like he really sent you."

"Can't get anything past you," she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes, "We've wasted enough time already, let's get going!"

Elle locked the doors as both of them exited the house. Making their way down the hill, they both wore face masks as they moved through the dust-filled city. As they went, Josh kept his eyes trained on Elle. He felt certain this was not their first meeting yet he couldn't remember where they'd met before. 

Sensing his eyes on her, Elle confronted him, "you seem to taking in the view quite a bit. Mind telling me what you were doing laying on the floor in such a messy state?"

The question caught him off guard, 'So it wasn't a dream!' 

"Are you saying I was actually on the floor covered in mud?" he asked.