An Unbelievable Story

Josh stared emotionlessly at the army as the many wounded soldiers, nursed their wounds. With several cries of agony reaching his ears, the boy averted his gaze as the consequences of their mission fully began to register. Looking to the edge of the massive forest, Josh unconsciously reminisced about his previous excursion through the impossibly tall trees. Much unlike his time back then, the incredible stillness and quiet that had pervaded the forest was no longer prevalent as various sounds bombarded his ears. Aside from the moans of the soldiers, knocking of armour, clashing of swords and the overall sounds of preparations being made could be heard from almost every direction. As thoughts of Herman entered his mind, Josh, knowing what he knew now, remained uncertain of the man's credibility.

'If Travis is really the usurper,' he thought to himself, 'What does that make Herman?'

Tapping his head with moderate force as he tried to shake the thought from his mind, Josh switched his gaze over to Samuel's still unconscious form. Although he remained inert, Josh had received assurances from Erina that the man would awaken at any minute. As his mind crossed over the skeletal soldiers, Josh focused his attention on the pair as they silently leaned against the trunk of a nearby tree. On arrival, Josh had strongly advised the duo to retain their distance until their presence within the Resistance's camp was authorized. Thanks to his foresight, the seemingly inevitable skirmish between the two sides had deescalated before it could start. Despite Shaw's orders to welcome the outsiders however, the allied soldiers couldn't help but throw looks of disdain, anger and disgust at the pair. Regardless of the Resistance's soldiers' collective reactions, both Erina, and to Josh's surprise, Ranier remained unbothered by their actions.

"How are you holding up?" came a voice from behind. 

Snapping him out of his stupor, Josh turned slightly as he recognized the sound of Cassandra's voice. 

"I could be a lot better," Josh admitted, returning his gaze to the skeletons. 

"Worried about your new friends?" Cassandra asked teasingly. 

"They're not my friends," he replied coldly. 

"Whatever you say," Cassandra replied, holding up her hands defensively, "No need to be so vicious about it!"

"I'm sorry," he apologized after a momentary pause, "I'm just a bit on edge!"

"I can see that," Cassandra said in return, "What exactly happened in there?" 

"Looks like you'll find out soon enough," Josh replied as he noticed Shaw accompanied by both Hank and Joana, heading straight towards them. 

"Hopefully, it'll be a briefing I can attend," Cassandra said wistfully as the trio pulled up. 

"I heard you've some intel to relay," Shaw began, arms folded as he addressed the boy. 

"I suppose you can say that," Josh replied vaguely, nervously staring at the nearby groups of soldiers as he spoke. 

"It's that serious, huh?" Shaw continued, noting his uneasy glances, "Shall we head to somewhere a bit more private?"

"That would be for the best," Josh replied, refraining from making eye contact with Joana as he continued, "It'd be good if those two were present as well," Josh added, pointing at the skeletons. 

"Are they really needed," Shaw asked, arching an eyebrow as he heard the newly voiced condition, "Relations between the army and I have considerably dropped after my earlier orders. Having them walk unescorted alongside me to my private abode is bound to worsen things even further!"

"Do we not count as escorts?" Joana questioned suddenly, "Or are we just meant for show?"

 Hesitating as Joana voiced her opinion, Shaw stared uncertainly at them both as he rubbed his chin.