Chapter 5

Just thinking about that day made my heart want to come out of my chest, it was ready to burst and mock me for ever thinking I could have friends and JUST friends. My judgment was clouded by Kiriko's gesture, the simple touch of hands. Friends also did that and I have no idea why I'm overthinking it so much, yet I couldn't help it, she's been here for me since the beginning, and she helped me to forget about my issues with my mom... Kiriko was always there.

I was perplexed.

Perhaps there's nothing at all and I'm just afraid of losing everything again, after last time... I don't trust people with my heart.

So I really don't know what I'm doing here, in front of her house, ready to pick her up, and dressed in a yukata because of the Matsuri Obon, the summer tradition that, amid dances, typical food and fireworks, the Japanese celebrate their Festival of the Dead. The door opened and I was met by whom I presume is her mother, Asa Yamagami. "You must be (Y/N), come in, Kiriko is still preparing herself." Her smile was small, and she looked worn out. There was a gloomy feeling in her heart I had forced myself to ignore, I can't ask about her business. "Pleased to meet you, I'm in your care."

"Well, it seems like I'm in your care instead, you brought a lot of stuff in that basket." Kiriko's mother grabbed it and placed it on the table in the living room, before calling out to Kiriko about my arrival. I bought gifts, spray mosquito repellent, matches and candles, flowers, which I had to make sure they weren't too fancy, and trash bags and gloves for cleaning dead leaves off the grave of Kiriko's grandmother. "What are you standing there for? She won't come down for some time, so make yourself comfortable." I nodded and took off my sandals. Stepping further into the house, I gasped when I realized it was big and almost like a maze, I followed Asa to the kitchen and watched her preparing onigiri. "You can have one, it's almost time to go and I would like for the both of you to wait till after visiting the grave to eat." I grinned at that, and it's understandable, Kiriko and I are easily the most gluttonous girls in all of Japan.

"You're quiet, almost the opposite of my daughter." Asa stated.

"Uuhh, I'm sorry. I'm usually not very good at meeting new people. I'm actually not sure why I'm celebrating Obon, I thought this festival is only for family and their ancestors." It's true, I obliged because Kiriko told me to come too. "Kiriko told me I couldn't miss a celebration as magical as this one."

"That's all she told you?" Asa halted her work on the rice to stare at me with furrowed brows. I met her gaze after biting the onigiri, slightly confused at her sudden question. "Y-Yes...?" Asa was flabbergasted and I didn't comprehend why. "Koi wa shian no hoka..." She murmured, almost displeased. Maybe I shouldn't be here. "If my presence angers you I can leave--"

"No, no no! I'm just amazed that my daughter is capable of fighting against anyone and not... Say three simple words. Kiriko is a hero, she has become strong but, apparently, she still needs to learn about emotions and their meaning." I've never seen Kiriko fight, only her magic to heal, and she isn't reckless with it, so I don't know why her emotions would be a problem. "I'm sure Kiriko is trying hard to be better, even if she is already astounding."

"I'm astounding, huh?" I jumped in my seat and turned to find Kiriko in a beautiful blue and red yukata, she wasn't wearing the fox headband. My cheeks grew hot the more I stared at her, but quickly recomposed myself. "Yeah! I mean-- How could you say you aren't?" We flashed each other a bright smile and embraced tightly. "I'm still unsure I should be here, this is supposed to be for your family, Kiriko." I added, crossing my arms. "Well, you don't have family here, so I thought you would like to be in mine..." Asa coughed and raised an eyebrow at her daughter when she said that, making the fox's cheeks blush in embarrassment. "I mean-- For today! So you can see what the Festival has to offer!"

I followed Kiriko and her mother to the Festival, where I saw paper lanterns floating on the water and many families having fun and praying for their ancestors to have a good afterlife. We visited the grave of Kiriko's grandmother, cleaned the stones, and added a snack and an offering, by Asa's request, I was the one that placed the flowers on the grave. I was dejected when I couldn't feel anything around the tomb, at least until we walked away, I felt someone staring at our backs with a pleasant aura. The Festival was centered around a small group of performers, all traditional dances as the party shifts throughout the town, it was crowded even to get some food, but at least I had plenty of chances to speak more Japanese.

I was happy the Hashimoto weren't here to destroy this moment, god only knows how much the town needed this tranquility, and they wouldn't dare ruin a day so special to Japan.
At the end of the day the people, along with Kiriko, Asa and I were seeing a boat set ablaze in the water, the lanterns flowed with the water and there was a massive bonfire in the mountains, everything was so right and comforting, maybe a little sad, but it felt like I was tasting peace.

Minutes passed as the town began leaving for their houses, and Asa yawned tiredly. "You should go home, mom. It was a long day." Said Kiriko and we stepped closer to her. "I should, shouldn't I?" Her eyes were set on the paper lanterns in the water, a tear fell that she quickly dried with her hand, then she turned to us. "I'm going home. Both of you, please, be careful out there."

Kiriko rolled her eyes playfully. "We'll be fine."

"It was nice spending this day with you, I hope I get to you see more often." Asa smiled at me as she took my hands. "I'm sure we will. Take care of my Kiriko, (Y/N)." With that, Kiriko took my hand and with the last goodbye, we made haste toward the shrine, where the view was even more stunning than I imagined. We still had food for many hours, so I do not think we would go back soon. "I still can't believe that kid won three games of goldfish scooping!" I chuckled at her complaints, she had tried to win me a goldfish, but she couldn't. "You just watched the boy magically take all those fish for himself, your face was hilarious!" We laughed non-stop, I couldn't breathe at how many times I remembered her expression. "Anyway, it was for the best. I think my cat would eat them, so don't worry about it."

"Still, I wanted to give you something to remember today." She muttered. My eyes glanced at her form, and I smiled softly. "Memories aren't enough?"
Her brown eyes met mine, and I noticed that majestic blue in them. "They are, (Y/N)... Trust me, they are..." I widened my eyes as we stared at each other, my veins turned gold, and she steadily moved closer. I was blocked, my brain shut down and I couldn't stir a finger.

W-Wait, wait! No! We can't--

Before I could do anything, there was a detonation not far from the shrine that knocked us away from each other, my head hurt as I regained my senses, and I was horrified by the state in which the explosion left half of the shrine.