𝐢𝐢. 𝐜𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐦 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫

𝐉𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐄 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐕𝐎𝐑 𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐃𝐀𝐘, and frankly she was tired of it. Sure she was happy for Claudia, but if she heard his name again she was sure she'd explode.

She sat on the bed beside Claudia and Stacey who lay beside her. Claudia had told them about her situation with Trevor at art class, Jamie boredly ate her Twizzlers as Claudia explained

"Did he ask you to the dance, or not?" Kristy asked impatiently, and Jamie nodded as well wanting to know. "Well?" Kristy asked more impatiently when she got no response.

"He asked me if I was going, and said he'd see me there." Claudia shrugged trying to sound nonchalant, though a smile lay on her face. "So he asked me, We'll be there together, basically," Claudia said but seemed unsure herself.

"Here's the thing a guy like Trevor Sandbourne isn't gonna, like, show up to your door with a corsage. That's just not the way things are done in his kind of circles." Stacey explained, earning a scoff from Jamie "Which are?"

"Sophisticated circles. Artistic circles." Stacey elaborated poorly "Boring circles." Jamie said with a roll of her eyes, "Hey!" Claudia exclaimed jabbing Jamie's shoulder

"Are you gonna wear a costume?" Mary Anne asked excitedly, "I was gonna be a troll doll, but for Trevor, I might have to think of something more soigné."

"So you're changing your style for some guy? Some guy like Trevor?" Jamie asked rather annoyed, and almost shocked, she hadn't thought Claudia would be the type to change herself for others.

"I just don't want to look like a baby," Claudia explained with a shrug, Jamie rolled her eyes. Kristy must've thought the same idea as her "What's babyish is this stupid dance, giving boys yet another way to be disappointing, setting up girls for a lifetime of making excuses for them. I wouldn't go if you paid me." Kristy said dramatically crossing her arms over her chest.

"What about you Mary Anne? That cute boy Logan might be there. The one you're always staring at who volunteers at the library?" Stacey asked

"Is everyone boy crazy?" Jamie muttered under her breath, but Claudia must've heard her because she hit her arm. "What?" She asked as if she didn't say anything, Claudia rolled her eyes turning back to the conversation they were having.

"Anyway, there's no way my Dad would ever let me go. He's been spinning out enough lately about the phantom caller." Mary Anne explained

"The what?" Jamie asked at the same time as Stacey asked "What's that?"

"Some weirdo home invader that was on the news. You get these creepy anonymous phone calls. Then you realize the calls were coming from inside the house." Mary Anne said the phone ringing caused Jamie to jump, startled by the off-putting story Mary Anne was telling.

"He heard us, the phantom caller." Kristy squeaked, equally as spooked. She hesitantly reached for the phone. "Hello, Baby-Sitters Club." She answered

Her scared expression immediately dropped to an annoyed one "Oh, hey, honey. Watson and I are going, to a Halloween party on Friday night, and we need a sitter for Karen and Andrew."

"Hold, please," Kristy said, bringing the phone down, and pressing the button. "Watson needs a sitter on Friday."

"But that's the night of the dance." Claudia reminded "Yeah, we're going." Stacey nodded

Mary Anne turned to Kristy "Kristy. This is like, the seventh time since the club started that your Mom or Watson has called in with a job. You're the only one who hasn't gone, and you're the only one they want."