Nine (Nina)

I emerge from Limbo finding no time had passed I manage to make it to my morning class on time. I spent the remainder of my day in a haze, my mind going over everything Desmond told me. We were mates, destined to be together, our union would save his world from being destroyed. My mind also reminded me of the other news I learned, how my family was cursed because we took Desmond away from the woman he loved. I text my mom during lunch, telling her I'm not feeling well. She calls the school, and by the time I make it to the office, I am already excused for the day.

I walk home with my arms wrapped tightly around my torso, and my eyes widen at the police cruiser parked in front of the house. Mom's car is already parked in the driveway, and my heart begins to race. Elijah had mentioned my father was no longer of this world. I suddenly wish for Desmond's reassuring presence, the feel of his cool hand in mine. His silent reassurance that everything was going to be okay.

Stop kidding yourself Winters, once a jinx always a jinx.

I flinch at my inner voice walking up to my aunt. She brings me into a hug resting her chin on top of my head. The front door opens, and I can hear the clicking sounds of my mom's heels as she comes down the pathway. I take a step back looking between the two of them.

"Shall we head inside?" Sarah asks. Mom nods, putting an arm around my shoulder. We walk inside, Sarah shuts the door making herself comfortable in the living room. I take a seat on the couch. Mom heads into the kitchen, coming back out with three cans of soda. She takes a seat next to me.

"I'm sorry to call you home on your first day of work, Alexis." Sarah begins.

"It's alright." Mom brushes it off to the side. "My supervisor understood, what is this about?"

"We responded to a 911 call at Nina's school. The principal found Kenneth on the track field with a flask in his hand, a prescription bottle, and what appears to be claw marks on his chest." She explains.

My eyes widen, and with no real knowledge of the supernatural world, I couldn't say for sure if this was Elijah's doing or someone else. I was under the impression that Reapers only took the souls of those close to or near death. I also assumed the Fates were the ones who dictated which souls were on the chopping block. My father was not a good man. He was abusive, verbally abusing mom and me for years. Sarah withdraws a folded-up piece of paper from her shirt pocket, setting it down on the table. Mom opens it, and dad's chicken scratch stares up at us.

To my disgrace of a wife and daughter,

My death is on your hands. Why couldn't you understand your place? Instead, you continued to defy my wishes over and over again. Nina, your very existence made every moment of my life agonizing. Your luck cost me job after job. Alexis, every bruise I gave you, every scar you bear is your fault for refusing to submit. I left you with nothing, it is exactly what you deserve.

Mom crumples the paper in her hand. She doesn't shed a single tear. She only sits up straighter; fire burns in her eyes. Sarah takes the note from her, placing it in an evidence bag. There is still something about this case that doesn't sit well with me.

"Auntie, you said dad was found with claw marks on his chest, does the coroner know what kind of animal they are from?" I ask her.

"Not yet, once I'm done here, I'll be heading to the hospital to speak with them." She answers. "Do you think you can give your mother and me a moment alone?"

"Of course, I'll start making dinner." I stand up, giving mom a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you, blackbird." Mom smiles weakly.

I head into the kitchen hearing mom and Sarah talking quietly. It sounds like an interrogation to me, but I tell myself that it's just standard protocol. Eventually, I'll be asked the same questions, did I notice dad was suicidal? Did I notice any sudden changes in his behavior or mental state? I pulled out ingredients from the fridge, mom had chicken marinating in Italian dressing overnight. I pull out the griddle, grabbing potatoes from the pantry. My hands shake the entire time I'm preparing dinner, fearing my bad luck will rear its ugly head and I'll be whisked away to the hospital to reattach a severed finger.