you're making this too hard

𝔱𝔯𝔦𝔤𝔤𝔢𝔯 𝔴𝔞𝔯𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔡 𝔦𝔫 𝔬𝔭𝔢𝔫𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔞𝔲𝔱𝔥𝔬𝔯'𝔰 𝔫𝔬𝔱𝔢

george looks around the small coffee-shop-bookstore hybrid that dream brought him to, taking in the walls upon walls of books that circle them where they're sat.

george has been living here for years now but never knew about the cute little place - probably since it is on the opposite side of town to his house and fairly hidden away behind other, bigger, chain stores.

he takes a sip from the hot chocolate that dream bought him, ignoring the giddy feeling that's been settled in his stomach ever since they arrived.

"is it nice?" dream asks him, nodding down at the hot drink.

"yeah, it's good," george smiles politely as he puts it back down on the saucer. "how is your uhm... what did you get?"

"i don't know, some sweet tea thing," he shrugs. "yeah it's good," the blond confirms. suddenly, his head jerks to the side, neck bending so his shoulder hits his ear. he shrugs and then looks down at his drink.

george doesn't take note of the random twitch, figuring the blond is probably cold.

"you can buy books, by the way," dream tells him, pointing to a bookshelf beside them when he says, "that one has the mystery books and stuff, if you want one."

george shrugs, "it's cheaper to just burrow books from the library."

"let me buy you one, please," the blond smiles hopefully.

george would usually refuse, not liking it when other people spent their money on him, but something about dream's smile is impossible to refuse. he looks down at his drink when he replies, "i'll look in a minute," and hopes the other boy can't read the flustered smile on his face.

george can't stop cursing himself for catching feelings for the only friend he has. he tried to tell himself that he was just confused, enjoying the attention so much that he tricked himself into thinking he fancies the other.

though, his heart started skipping beats when dream would enter the library and he looked in the mirror to find himself blushing over a message the other had sent him and realised he couldn't really deny his feelings any more than he'd already tried to.

"can i pick you a book?" dream asks.

george opens his mouth to respond, stopping when the blonde's head jerks to the side again, looking almost painful. dream says nothing about it, so george continues what he was going to say, "if you want, yeah."

the blond smiles excitedly, pushing his chair back.

he gets up, going over to the nearby bookshelf.

george watches the blond from behind as he goes through books. he smiles to himself at the way dream only looks at the cover, not even checking the blurb, and watches fondly as the blond starts creating a small pile in his arm.