Chapter Sixty

Michael

"Mrs. Adams, Mrs. Adams!" I called out.

She refused to turn around as she made her way to the elevators. Before the doors could even close on me, I managed to slide in right on time.

"Ay por dios," She curses under her breath. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say!"

"All I am asking is five minutes." I asked calmly. "Do you really want to base this entire situation on assumptions? Do you really want to leave here while putting your daughter in a negative light?"

"I am not putting my daughter in a negative light!" She argues. "You are putting her in a negative light!"

God this was going to be harder than I thought. I withheld an irritated sigh. Lord give me patience.

"M'am, I understand that you don't like me. I am not sure what you heard besides the fact I am a Professor that happens to be in a relationship with your Daughter; but believe me when I say this, You only know half the story."

"And why on earth should I believe anything you have to say?"

"Because not only did I save your daughter from near death, but she loves me just as much as I love her."

She didn't respond after that. Her tired brown eyes sunk down to the floor, clutching onto her bag as if she could fathom the truth.

When the elevator doors open, letting us go onto the main floor, I started again,

"I'm sure you are tired from your travels. May I offer you a meal in the cafeteria? We can talk there and fill in any questions you might have."

From the way her face pondered at the thought of talking with me, I could tell she struggled with submitting. Not that I was asking for her to submit at all, I just wanted to talk and clear the air. If she refused, then I wouldn't push any longer.

In the end, she turns to look up at me. Her eyes narrowed with insecurity as well as her arms crossed in defense.

"You can let go of the professional side. If I'm going to talk to my Daughter's boyfriend, I want to know who he really is under the mask."

The corners of my lips perked up a little, letting a little more of my true voice come out freely. "There is no mask M'am, it's just an accent."

"I noticed Vaquero." She says. "Anyway, lead the way to the cafeteria. I'm starving."