Cat Got Your Tongue?

Baz P.O.V

The library at Watford School of Magicks is almost dead quiet, but I still can't focus.

I wish he would shut up. It's not that Simon is being particularly annoying, (he's always annoying) he's just talking to Bunce but his voice is so soft because we're supposed to whisper in the library that I can't stop listening.

It's been an hour and I've written three barely coherent sentences. I can't take it anymore. Sighing, I form a plan. As soon as Bunce gets up I'll go and shut him up myself.

I wait for 15 minutes.

Finally I hear Bunce saying she needs to go meet her mother for dinner. She tells Simon to keep studying and leaves the library. When she's out of sight I get up.

I walk over to Simon. He sits looking like a lost puppy amidst a pile of books on runes. A subject I know is difficult for him. The work is easy for me and all of the sudden I want to help him, encourage him to actually use his brain for once. I know he has one, I sometimes forget and every so often I see him actually use it and I'm reminded of how brilliant he could be.

Simon P.O.V

Penny has left the library and I'm all alone with a huge mass of paper. She's gone to meet her mum for dinner. She told me to finish this and I don't want to disappoint her but I still don't understand. Even after she explained it to me. Penelope Bunce is brilliant, there's no questioning it but sometimes she's just too brilliant for me and I can't understand even when she tries to say it simply.

I bet all this is easy for Baz, I feel so stupid whenever I think about him being so much better than me. Smarter (at everything, especially football. he's very smart at football.) taller (I bet if he ever gets a girlfriend then she'll have to stand on a step ladder.) better looking (he is very good looking). He might be a horrible creature of the night, but he is still nice looking.

I hear footsteps behind me, I know these footsteps but I refuse to believe it or acknowledge it. It's like he always appears as soon as I think of him. Are vampires telepathic too? I hate that he sees how stupids I am. I don't know why I even care how I look in front of him or what he thinks but I do and I can't help myself.

I don't turn around and attempt to look busy but I know it's too late. He clears his throat.

Baz P.O.V

He hasn't seen me yet.

"Hey Simon," I say he turns and I feel a stab of guilt at his expression it;'s quickly suppressed by the relife I know I'll feel when I can get back to studying. "Cat Got Your Tongue?"

I watch him carefully, keeping, with some effort, a smirk on my face, as he tries to find his words and fails. When I'm sure the spell has worked I walk away.

As I work I catch myself wondering if he's finished the homework yet and I catch myself hoping Bunce gets back soon.

I leave the library quickly.