Chapter 1: Big Surprise

"Louis, please pass the potatoes."

"Here you go, mum," I passed her the dish. It was a typical Friday night, and I was antsy to start my biology paper after supper. We started a new unit today, and I was beyond pumped to start my extra credit essay, which I decided would be all about the unique reproduction of bullfrogs. I swallowed another spoonful of beans; I would definitely need the protein for tonight's study session.

"So honey, do you have any plans for tonight?" Mum asked, turning to me.

"Well, I was planning on watching Animal Planet later if I got my paper done by 8, maybe have a movie night," I shrugged, and stood up from the kitchen table to load my plate in the dishwasher. Even though I had my back turned I could feel her and my father staring at me in disproval from across the room.

"I meant something sociable, like with friends." She replied in a serious tone.

"Yeah son, didn't Stan ask you to see a movie earlier this week?" My dad spoke up.

"Yes, but I'd rather just be chilling here. You know that." Stan understood. I preferred being alone. I was a socially awkward person, and the last thing I wanted to do on a Friday night was go out. It was routine now; Stan and I saw each other at school and every other Sunday when we played FIFA after Stan forced me to bench-press with him. That part I didn't mind; I liked the look of a little muscle on my arms. But going out wasn't my forte. That's all Stan did on the weekends, especially with his new girlfriend, Eleanor.

After a few minutes, mum broke the silence and said, "Are you sure Louis? You've been really distant lately, and we're worried about you. Are you being bullied at school?" she had concern written all over her face. There was an awkwardness in the kitchen tonight, and I felt something big coming, but I didn't know what. The only real elephant in the room was my sexuality, but I wasn't about to confess that right now; I was planning to come out after graduation.

"Oh no, mum! School has been great, really," I told her honestly. "I just have lots of studying to do this weekend." I sat back down at the table, knowing I would be here for awhile.

"Well, you might want to get all of that done tonight. You'll be busy tomorrow... rearranging your room." My parents exchanged a secretive smile across the table.

"What do you mean?" I looked back and forth between them and then realized it. "Wait! You're not pregnant are you!?" I gasped and my glassed fogged up. I wiped them on the hem of my t-shirt when I felt my mother pat my arm reassuringly.

"Of course not, Louis! Why would you think that? You're 17 and definitely our only child."

"Okay then, what is it?" I replied snappily, getting annoyed. I couldn't sit here all night, I had a paper to write.

"We'll, we've been worried lately, and figured that you needed someone to hang around, maybe a friend who could bring you out of your shell a little..." Mum trailed off, and glanced at my father across the table.

My father took a deep breath and finished her sentence; "Louis, we're hosting an exchange student."