𝓲𝓿 ; 𝓽𝓵𝓸𝓾, 𝓬𝓻𝓸𝓼𝓼𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓼

- 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫: 𝐛𝐮𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐝𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐞𝐬 -

NOOR WANTED TO KICK JOEL IN THE SHIN instead of putting up with his shit. His deal seemed legit. But what the fuck was he doing with Ellie? Where was he taking her? The story about his brother, Tommy, seemed legit. He talked about him like he was actually seeing him in his head.

Tommy was real, but there was an undertone. Noor wasn't sure if any of it was worth the risk.

So, what was she getting in return?

Hopefully peace and sleep after all of it was over.

If Joel could find Tommy and the Fireflies, he told her that Tommy would be able to take her in. At least for a little while and get her back up on her feet. At first, she refused. She was already up on her feet. But, Joel was smart and was quick to point out how malnourished she was and her steps were becoming slower.

"For now, sit down and eat. We'll talk in the morning."

It took all her power to not burst out and lash out at his behaviour, acting like he was someone better and bigger than her. She hated feeling overpowered and Joel did just that.

Dropping her bag on the ground, with a thud, she took the plate from Henry's hands and sat back down on the same wooden chair, looking out the window. The first bite was like hell, especially since the two were watching like she was a caged animal and they were zookeepers. Her teeth had almost forgotten how to chew but with each microscopic bite, Noor was able to eat a little bit less than a half of food. As tasty as it was, she still wanted to throw it up.

"Thanks." She reached her arm out to Henry, giving him back the plate.

"No problem."

That night, Noor fell asleep on the ground with her knife under her head. Henry was passed out, tired of all he had to endure in the last 24 hours and Joel was sat on the ground with his back against the wall, staring at the two young people before him.

Henry was like an open book; he was scared, like a lost dog but he would do anything for Sam. He loved his brother more than anything. But Noor was something else; she had a shadow lingering around her even in the dark. Joel had gotten used to the chatter, to Ellie's jokes but Noor was as quiet as a cat. He'd occasionally jump when she'd appear by his side out of nowhere.

And when he remembered that she was only sixteen during Outbreak day, he saw her in a different light. That meant she spent the entirety of her teenage years in fear, running and barely making it to 20. Kids like her, born during the virus weren't supposed to be learning how to survive and kill for food.

He took a sharp breath in when he remembered that Noor was only 2 years older than Sarah, when she died.

And Joel rested his head back down on his backpack, the last image in his head being his daughter's soft curls and wicked smile.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

"Sam?"

The shuffling in Ellie and Sam's room woke her up. Ellie's muted voice was rather quiet, but Noor adjusted her eyes to the light when she realised it was morning.

"Sam!"

The door slammed open, causing for the three adults to jump awake. Noor's hands clutched onto her gun in fear at what she saw.