TWO

Poppy is one of few students you spend your time with. Blissfully unaware of what you've been getting up to, she spends her lunch time sitting comfortably with you in her presence.

She's a happy soul and not much would shift that warm glow from her face. Even now, she's showing you a little yellow butterfly that's landed on her Hufflepuff badge.

"The colours must be bright enough to attract them," she grins, studying the insect with all the awe in the world.

"Yellow butterfly for a yellow house." you comment, a book on potions spread across your lap. Your back rests against the base of a tree, legs stretched across the grass. It's not totally comfortable, but the bark doesn't dig too much into your back.

Poppy's smile widens, just as the butterfly takes flight, "I was about to say the same thing. They won't be out for long now, not with winter on its way.

You shake your head, "No....but we'll have all the snow instead. Snow's good too, isn't it?"

She agrees, "Snow is very pretty."

Your eyes are so focused on your book that you don't notice Poppy turning her body towards you, "Promise me you'll come out in the snow with me?"

You look up then, smiling softly at that hopeful look on her face. She's adorable, none of that innocence from fifth year diminished in her eyes. You're almost jealous.

"Of course I will," you laugh. "You have my word."

Poppy gives you a satisfied nod, sitting back slightly, "Good. You'll have so much fun, I promise!"

With her, you have absolutely no doubt you will.

"Are you ready for your potions test?" she moves the subject on, leaning over just enough to glimpse the book pages in your lap.

You nod slightly, scratching the top of your head, "I think so. Don't remember when this got so complicated though."

"That's because we're old," Poppy says, leaning back on her hand. "And old people need complicated tests."

"I'll remind you of that when we're old and grey," you raise an eyebrow. "Then we'll test that theory."

Your friend laughs and settles on the grass, a book with a hippogriff on the cover in her hand. Where that appeared from, you have no idea; must be magic.

Despite her chattering, you and Poppy easily settle into comfortable silences. Two books and each other is all you need to power through your lunch break.

Considering how much time you spend with her, it's surprising how she hasn't picked up on your subtle changes in behavior. Dark Magic has influenced you in more ways than one, and you're finding it harder to control.

Fortunately, reading and studying helps. With a clear focus in front of you, you become so distracted that your tendancies disappear into almost nothing. You're a bookworm now, just like those Ravenclaws, but no one pays any mind.

"Did you ever wonder about coming to Hogwarts before fifth year?" Poppy suddenly asks, snatching you from your daze.

You look her way, "What makes you ask that?"

She shrugs her shoulders, shifting herself so that she can lay on her stomach with her book flat out in front of her. Head in her hands, she tilts her head from one side to the other, "Curiosity. Surely you must've thought about if before, no?"

Truthfully, you don't really remember your time before you entered Hogwarts. You have no family to identify yourself with, no friends outside of the castle walls, and only one Professor Fig to keep you company. You really do miss him.

"I did," you choose to say. "But I can't remember much of my time before Hogwarts. It's all a blur to me."

Musing over your reply, Poppy's eyes skim back over her textbook. Eventually she lifts her gaze to flash a smile up at you, "Well, I'm glad you decided to come here. It would be weird without you now."

And you really couldn't agree more.

[this chapter needs some fixing, which I shall absolutely do, but I wanna finish the rest of the fic first just so I get a better sense of direction for it - so if it's a little out of place, dw about it, cuz I know]