Dragon's Interlude

A/N: A very very very short chapter! I'm super busy, since the semester's beginning to wrap up and I have to start to prepare for finals in a few weeks. So here! Have a tidbit, cuz I'm not exactly sure when I'll be able to post a full-blown chapter.

(I'm going to spend so much time getting that Venion torture scene the best it can be, I promise!)

The dragon wasn't really sure what to think about the silver-haired human who had rescued him.

Technically, it was the big black-haired one who had freed him from his chains. It was also the big black-haired one who had carried him and the silver-haired human out into a breathtakingly beautiful world the dragon had never before seen.

But in the dragon's eyes, it was Lord Ambrose Finley who had saved him.

He had heard the black-haired human- his name was Choi Han, he later learned- was just going to bring Ambrose out of the caves. He hadn't even known about the dragon's existence. It was thanks to Ambrose that Choi Han had been able to save the dragon.

Why, though?

The dragon wasn't quite sure why the delicate and so obviously injured human had insisted on saving him.

For the entirety of his life, the dragon had known only cruelty at the hands of the humans. He had been beaten and tortured for the amusement of the cold blond human that was now locked up in a room nearby.

A part of him wanted to sneak into that room and see what the tall gloved human was doing to that human.

But the larger part of him, the part that recognized that Ambrose Finley had saved his life, couldn't let him take his eyes off of the weak suffering man in the bed across the room.

What if the human was hurt?

What if the human died?

The dragon didn't want to care for any human. He wanted to go live his life, free and untethered to the pain that was his past.

And yet...

Here he was, staring down at the trembling sleeping body of his savior.

Right then and there, in the cool darkness of night, the dragon swore to protect this silver-haired saint.

He couldn't have his weak savior go off and die, now could he?

A/N: join the discord! https://discord.gg/ctUZeXAJdQ