Forever and Always

Author's Note: This fanfiction is based on the characters and world created by Casey McQuiston in her novel "Red, White & Royal Blue." It takes place after the events of the book and contains spoilers for the ending. Enjoy!

Alex Claremont-Diaz was finally settling into his new life as the First Son of the United States. After a tumultuous start to his term, which included a fake romance with his arch-nemesis, Prince Henry of Wales, Alex was ready for some normalcy. He had a new job at the White House, a loving family, and a supportive boyfriend in Henry. Life was good. But there was one thing missing.

Alex had always wanted to go to law school, but his father's presidency had put his dreams on hold. Now that things were settling down, Alex decided it was time to pursue his passion. He applied to Georgetown Law School and was accepted with a full scholarship. Alex was ecstatic. He would be able to continue working at the White House during the day and attend law school at night. It would be a challenge, but Alex was up for it. The only problem was that Henry was still in London, finishing up his studies at Oxford. They had been doing the long-distance thing for a while, but it was getting harder and harder to be apart. Alex missed Henry terribly.

One day, Alex was sitting in the Oval Office, staring out the window, when his phone rang. It was Henry.

"Hey, babe," Alex said, answering the call.

"Hey, Alex," Henry replied. "I have some news."

"What is it?"

"I'm coming to D.C."

Alex's heart leapt. "When?"

"Next week. I'm finished with my studies, and Phillip wants me to start taking on more royal duties."

"That's amazing!" Alex exclaimed. "I can't wait to see you."

"Me too, love. Me too."

Alex was practically bouncing off the walls for the next week. He couldn't wait to see Henry again. He had missed him so much. Finally, the day arrived. Alex went to the airport to pick up Henry, who had flown in on a commercial flight, much to the dismay of his security detail. When Henry emerged from the gate, Alex's heart skipped a beat. He was even more handsome than Alex remembered, with his messy brown hair and his piercing green eyes.

"Hey, you," Alex said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hello, Alex," Henry said, smiling back at him. They hugged tightly, not caring who saw them. It felt like they had been apart for years, not just a few months.

"How was your flight?" Alex asked.

"Long," Henry replied. "But worth it to see you again."

They made their way to the car that was waiting for them outside. Alex insisted on driving, even though he had a Secret Service detail. He just wanted some time alone with Henry.As they drove through the streets of D.C., Alex couldn't stop staring at Henry. He had missed him so much.

"What are your plans for the next few days?" Alex asked.

"Well, I have a few official functions to attend, but I'm free most of the time. I was hoping we could spend some time together."

"Absolutely," Alex said. "I have to work during the day, but I'm free in the evenings. And I have a surprise for you."

"Oh?" Henry said, raising an eyebrow.

"I'll tell you later," Alex said, grinning.

That evening, after Alex had finished work, he took Henry to a small park near the White House. As they walked through the park, Alex noticed that Henry seemed a little nervous.