Prologue

Jedediah Smith was a lonely man. He had no partner, no matter how hard he tried. His family disowned him when he came out as bisexual.

In hopes of not being so alone, Jedediah decided to adopt. He went to the town's orphanage in his jeep. It took him a while as he lived on a farm on the edge of town. Country music blasted from his radio.

Jedediah was a Texan man through and through, even though he now lived in New York. He loved the country life. He owned three horses, sometimes riding with his neighbor's kids while their parents went on a date.

Jed parked his car and walked inside the orphanage. It wasn't busy, but he could hear kids playing. That made him smile.

"Hello, can I help you?" the lady at the front desk asked.

"Yes. I was hopin' to adopt."

"Wonderful. How young?"

"'Bout twelve or thirteen will do."

"Are you sure you don't want anyone younger?"

"I'm sure."

She nodded and left. Soon she came out with three kids. Two boys and one girl.

==Time Skippy Skip==

In the end, Jedediah went with the girl, Michela. She was super sweet and amazing. She always used ASL when she spoke, even though she could hear perfectly fine.

She was so excited when she was told she was getting adopted. Michela didn't have a lot of things, so she was packed quickly.

"So, Jed," she started as they got into the jeep.

"Hm?"

"Where are you from?"

"Born an' raised in Texas."

"Huh."

++POV Change++

Around the same time, in a different orphanage, Gaius Octavius decided to adopt a kid. His wife had died a year ago and, even with his two kids, the house felt empty and quiet without her laugh.

His kids were fine with it, understanding their father needed some way to cope with his feelings.

Octavius brought his two boys, Harry and James. He wanted the two to get along with their new sibling.

The family left with yet another boy, Casimiro. Casimiro went by Casi for short. He was deaf. Octavius had a feeling that if he didn't adopt Casi, he would never get adopted, so he adopted him.

He was willing to learn ASL for his new son, as was his biological children. They wanted to make Casi feel right at home with them.