Chapter One

Sokka shielded his eyes briefly as he and the other students filed away from the buses and onto the front steps of the biggest school he had ever laid eyes on. Sozin Unity High School. He had to crane his neck to see the roof from where he stood. He stole a glance to the side to ensure his best friend was still beside him. Jet, sure enough, stood there, smiling ear to ear. The sight gave Sokka the courage to steel himself. He took the hairband from his wrist and deftly tied his hair back.

The teen took a deep breath.

"My hair look okay?" He asked, taking another glance at his friend as they made ready to walk again.

Jet turned to him and pretended for a moment to think it over, then shook his head. "Fine to me. And mine?" He flipped his shaggy dark hair dramatically.

Sokka grinned, "Solid."

Jet set his eyes forward with a determination Sokka rarely saw, "This is it, high school. We're about to make it big time Sok, I can just feel it."

Sokka nodded as they both started towards the almost regal looking front doors to their new future.

"Free periods, football games," Jet continued, dropping his voice wistfully, "The chicks."

Sokka took the opportunity to tease his friend, "I dunno Jet. The last time we went to Katara's meet you seemed pretty interested in those swim team boys..."

Jet turned on him sharply, offended, "I did not!"

Sokka put on an air of nonchalance, "No need to deny it Jetty. I saw you drooling over those speedos and honestly, I don't blame you!"

A group of teenage girls took this moment to walk by and giggle at the pair of them. The look in Jet's eyes turned absolutely murderous. He lunged forward, clamping a hand over Sokka's mouth, preventing him from saying anything more. Sokka was rather disappointed by this, he had a whole speech lined up about how he would happily be the best man at Jet's eventual gay wedding. Instead he stuck out his tongue.

"Dude!" Jet reared his hand away, hastily wiping his now damp hand off on his jeans. He was just about to give Sokka a solid pummeling when they were interrupted.

"Aw, your first high school fight!" The girl teased, slinging an arm around them each. "My boys are growing up so fast."

"Where does the time go?" Sokka played along as Jet, nearly at the same time, complained,

"Suki! We're not kids!"

The aforementioned girl just smiled broadly.

The trio reached the wide open doors and began their journey into the great unknown of Sozin Unity.

"I still can't believe you talked me into cheerleading tryouts," Suki groaned to Jet. "If they're all stuck ups and preppy mean girls I'm walking out."

"You'll be fine," Sokka soothed. "Knowing your attitude, I'm sure half the team will be your besties by the end of the week."

"Maybe so," Suki mused.

"It's him I'm worried about," Sokka said, giving a pointed look at Jet over Suki's shoulder.

"I'm thinking about my social future!" Jet rebutted, crossing his arms.

"But football?" Sokka questioned, exasperated. "Those guys suck!"

Jet rolled his eyes.

"You're lucky I care about you," Sokka huffed out. "I'll be there for moral support in case they decide to be asshats. I'll defend you."

"You mean Suki will defend me," Jet corrected. "You're just gonna be there to goof around."

Sokka grinned, "Precisely!"

Jet grumbled, "Dude if you do anything to embarrass me, I swear—"

Suki laughed.

"Oh believe me Jetty," Sokka joked, "you do enough embarrassing for the both of us."