10. philophobia (final)

philophobia- the fear of love.

-

[third person:]

(i just realized that i made jake and all of them 13 in this story 🫣, dw everyone will be a little bit older in the sequel— i mean... theres not going to be a sequel haha what are you talking abt... 😏)

"wait what." jake said in shock.

"we didn't want to tell you because we didn't want to freak you out honey, but everything is going to be fine honey." aunt bree started talking into the phone.

"hopefully we will have full custody of you in a few weeks and we're going to get you out of that school." aunt bree added.

jake internally started freaking out, his life was going to change once again. except this time it really was going to be for the better.

"i mean, yeah thats great i hope everything works out." jake said trying to sound it excited.

"we hope so too. we'll see you soon jake." bree smiled and jake returned it.

they hang up the phone and jake sighs. "well don't look so excited." devon said reacting to jakes disappointment.

"i am excited, i feel better knowing that when i do leave here i won't be with my father. but then i also means that i won't be with you and lexy." jake said sadly.

"lexy and i are going to be fine jake, besides i'm happy for you." devon nudged jakes shoulder and stood up.

"so you won't miss me." jake smirked. devon nods his head immediately, "of course i'm going to miss my favorite headache." devon held on of jakes hands.

jake cleared his throat, "i'm sorry, your favorite what!"

"what? i didn't say anything you're going crazy." devon shrugged and hugged jake, making him fall back on the bed.

"i know i'm your favorite headache i'm very honored." jake smiled at him sarcastically.

devon lays down next to him and looks up at the ceiling. he didn't want his emotions to slip. he's always been able to remain stoic even through hard situations like seeing his father slowly go lifeless on his hospital bed.

his father had cancer. when they found out it was already too late. devon pretty much suffered in silence and he does still. he had respect for jake because he wears his heart on his sleeve and isn't scared to show people his feelings.

devon turns to look at jake, who was already looking at him. devon laughs.

"what are you thinking about." jake teased and turned his body towards devon.

"i'm thinking about trauma dumping right now but i don't think i can do it." devon admits.

jake scoffs, "devon please i've been telling you my trauma since the day that i met you. i'm pretty sure i'm the reason why you have trauma now."

"have you ever wondered why i've never mentioned my dad." devon started.

jake pauses, "yeah, kind of?"

"well let me just say that, lexy and i have one thing in common." devon hinted and started cracking his knuckles.

jake wondered and realized. jake sits up, "oh, devon i'm sorry." he said sadly.

devon shrugged, "i've learned to deal with it. he's been gone since i was nine from cancer. my mom is a detective so she was always busy. my grandma would take care of me but she also passed away a few days before my thirteenth birthday. my mom never trusted a babysitter and she didn't trust her sister being with me so ultimately, i got sent to this boarding school. i met oliver and he told me that he was here because at home he was a bully, i also met lexy and she said that she was here for her behavior and drug abuse. i just told both of them that i was sent here for smoking and drinking and going to parties." devon pauses.