Part Two: The Connection

This is where this book Merges with James Dashner's.

I'll try to do it as seamlessly as possible, but there's going to be some dialogue that's different. Oh well.

I hope you enjoy seeing The Maze Runner from Newt's POV.

-Glader Forty-two

That was when another noise joined the screaming. The harsh clang of a bell. I glanced out the window at the other Gladers crowding around the box, then back at Ben. I sighed. I couldn't leave him. Even though I doubted he knew I was here, I couldn't leave him alone during the changing. 

Luckily, Jeff was there to save the day. "I'll handle Ben, keep him from screaming, if you want to go out there," he said, giving a sad smile. 

"Good, that." I said, stretching. Judging by my watch, it had been five hours. Five hours of watching Ben scream and writhe. 

I was a leader now, though, and I had to do things for the sake of the Glade. 

I joined Alby at the box. Finally, the clattering came within earshot, then stopped entirely with a loud clank. Alby and I hauled the doors open to reveal a boy, younger than me by about a year, squinting into the sun.

"Look at that shank." Gally scoffed, looking down at the Greenie.

"How old is he?" put in an excited Chuck. The kid probably was hoping for a friend. 

"Looks like klunk in a T-shirt." 

"You're the klunk, shuck-face." I snapped. I couldn't stand it when Gladers insulted the newbies. We were all in the same predicament a while back, couldn't we be a little more understanding?

"Dude, it smells like feet down there!"

"Hope you enjoyed the one-way trip, Greenie." 

"Ain't no ticket back, bro."

Finally, Alby grabbed the rope I helped him lower it in for the terrified kid. He stepped into it and was lifted up into The Glade. 

I joined the others in brushing him off, as he stood, looking like a deer in the headlights, staring around with wide brown eyes. 

Alby took a breath and stepped up. "Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to The Glade."

The kid continued to stare around at the Glade, the stone walls of the Maze, obviously terrified.

"Look at the Greenbean," Gally snorted from the back, "Gonna break his shuck neck checkin' out the new digs." 

"Shut it Gally." Alby said, frowning in Gally's general direction. 

The Greenie's wild, frightened eyes met my own. I sniffed, annoyed at Gally. He didn't look that much like klunk. 

"Where am I?" he finally gasped out. 

"Nowhere good," Alby supplied, "Just slim yourself nice and calm." I silently prayed that he wouldn't run off. Because of my own first day, it seemed like I was the keeper of any Greenies that ran. 

"Which keeper he gonna get?" Chuck called out.

"I told ya, shuck-face," Winston said, "He's a klunk, so he'll be a slopper- no doubt about it." He let out a hyena laugh, and I growled slightly. What was it with insulting newbies?

Gally snorted. "He won't even do that much, count my liver on it." Alby beat me to telling them to shut up.

"I said shut your holes! Keep yapping and your next break'll be cut in half!" Why was the Glade so rowdy today? Normally they just welcomed the Greenie and went back to work, but today... Maybe it was because of Ben. Tensions were high today. "It's a long story, shank," Alby continued, "Piece by piece, you'll learn- I'll be takin' you on the Tour tomorrow. Till then... just don't break anything."