Chapter 2

After 10 years

"What a beautiful morning!" I screamed.

 I stretched out my limbs and got out of bed as I stretched more and when I was satisfied, I arranged my bed, putting the single pillow above and folding the blanket I used, it's becoming colder now since another season would start and I may be happy about it because the nights are no longer hot and sweaty. I am also not happy because that means it's now my duty to fetch the princess.

I would need to travel for three days for me to be able to reach the boarder of the kingdom. We have a huge amount of landscape knowing full well that we are the only people who were brave enough to live here a long time ago, there are full of savage animals here back then. Luckily the ruler being wise and loving, they were able to rule us to our successful lives, with a kingdom growing and prospering.

Back to the fetching the princess, I dreaded the day to come, she is mean, so mean that if she were not the princess, I would probably shoot her with my arrows.

I was preparing the things that I will take with me, from clothing, my armor, bow, arrows and the food that I want to bring, but I honestly could just hunt or ask a sweet person if they could give me food to eat, I am a royal's companion, aren't I? Might as well use that in my advancement and maybe charm a pretty lady.

"ISLA?!" I hurried to put everything in my old haversack bag that was given to me by King himself, it was from the foreign land.

I throw the bag in my shoulder and proceeded to open the door, there was the commander not happy with my unhurriedness action. I admit that I was not able to sleep last night because if I sleep then the night would be ending than I wanted it too. I just don't like the princess, like at all.

"Princess Ziana is your passenger and you will bring her to the palace safe and sound, do you hear me? The King will have my head if you fail to do so." I nodded my head. Though I love to see it happening, I never wanted people to hear my name and think of what a failure I am. 

"Yes commander." 

"Good. Everything is ready, we are just waiting for you. You will be accompanied with three soldiers, Melissa, Jorge, and Greg. I know you are fond of them, so I chose them, and I know they are good at what they do, and I know you're also a good leader." He said, leaving me to do what I should do. I need to wash my body before traveling that far.

After finally washing my body and finally wearing the heavy metallic armors, I run to go outside of my hut and meet up with the people the commander has mentioned, my horse already in position, I mounted her, and we all headed to the gates.

The years have gone so quickly, I was trained by my brother, Majos, every day and I became an official soldier at the age of 19, I specialized training to be an archer like what I always wanted to be, and I was also trained to be healer by my family, it was top of my priority, I could never imagine losing that part of me. 

I have grown so much, too much I might say. At the age of 20 I was in my brother and fathers' height, I thought that was it but no, right now I have grown so much, 6 feet and 3 inches tall. I hope that is my final height, though I don't mind it, especially I have discovered that I do not feel any attraction towards men.

"What are you thinking?" I looked behind me to see Melissa looking at me already. The four of us was circling the carriage that will be occupied by the princess once we reach the boarder. I hope it would be nice and steady ride, no savage animals or any lunatic people. 

I was leading, Melissa to the right side, Jorge in the left side and Greg at the back. Our horses walking smoothly as we paved the way. 

"Nothing significant, Melissa." I answered her. Though the commander was right about me being close to her, to them. I am not particularly that type of person who tells personal stuff to anyone. 

"Okay, just checking on you." She smiled and returned to her position as we near the humungous gates.

"Ma'am Isla! Excited to fetch the Princess?" Some of the guards enthusiastically said, I mirrored their actions and emotions.

"Definitely! Open up the gates!" I shout at the guards who's in charged in opening the gates. It made a loud disturbing sound before finally opening. Most of the materials used in the gates are the most indestructible elements on earth. The sound it made is just reasonable.

"Thank you!" I shouted as the guards wave their caps.

Just a couple of meters till we are in the town, we didn't stop as people make way for the soldiers of the King and Queen.

I would smile to them, especially kids who would wave their hands in the air excitedly. Some women and men would bow.

I am not known for being a soldier, I was known for being a healer, a babaylan. I usually explore each corner of the kingdom to help those in needs. I have mastered the art of healing, thanks to my family, who are by the way scattered across the kingdom to teach and train people with babaylan bloods in their veins, we sense our kinds, and we know them.

I would wear my long skirt and a t-shirt with a headwrap shaped like horns. People would greet me, asked me if I need anything. I love it so much; I love helping people.

My father and mother stay at our home, tending to the people on the palace who needs tending, I also help them, while my siblings, Aleya and Majos are in the north and south part of the kingdom, finding students and teaching them with healing abilities.

I worked hard to get to the point where I am now, and I hope the Princess have change, after 10 years of being in the foreign land, I hope she's different than the first time I saw her.