A Long Awaited Rescue

The last rays of sunlight lingered as reflections on the clouds, and if the sun had stayed up a little longer, the low flying helicopter would have been visible from the lookout tower. Two additional helicopters followed close behind in a triangle formation, all flew very quietly and straight over the jungle to a cluster of buildings ahead.

As the copters landed, alarms started going off. All of a sudden, the quiet jungle was lit up by gunfire and the glow of what looked like magic.

A party of five figures in the lead helicopter ran straight into the largest building guided by scarlet orbs that mesmerized those that were shooting at them. The leading figure of the group yelled something to his teammates who all lined up along the main door. A small olive-skinned girl leaped forward and threw a metal pack under the door before diving back. Everyone braced and a second later an explosion broke the door and immediate gunfire followed. The woman with the purple eyes charged into the smoke-filled building.

"She is, old man," the purple eyed woman muttered.

"She is," another voice from inside her ear replied, "I have been observing the facility for months, I am absolutely sure."

"Just follow the plan," A gruff male voice interrupted, "Reyna, Sage down the right hall! Raze, Viper, follow me!"

[A few months earlier.]

"You make our lives too easy, Killjoy," Sage said, smiling in response to Kj's callout that her bot spotted someone mid.

"Oh, well, I'm just doing my job," Kj grinned, nodding to her robot friends as she gave the nearest one a little pet.

"Your, go help Killjoy lockdown B site. Phoenix, continue holding mid," the healer called over the comms.

Out of nowhere an op shot shattered the silence and caused the engineer to dive backwards behind a stone wall. In the distance, a helicarrier loomed in the distance. Not their helicarrier.

On cue with her observations, Phoenix yelled over the comms, "Umm, guys, there might be more of them here than we thought."

Gunfire erupted over the comms and Killjoy recalled both bots to keep them closer to her. She kept her eyes on all three entrances to the site. B site was strangely quiet. The life of a sentinel was one of intense waiting and so Killjoy simply nestled closer to the wall, waiting patiently for even the smallest sound.

The sounds of her robots adjusting themselves were the only sounds she could hear besides the gentle breeze.

"When we get home, I'm going to have to give you all a checkup, the salt air can't be good for your circuits," Killjoy told the bot nearest her.

The faintest sound of a footstep alerted her to look at the mid entrance of the site. A bullet flew past her head and embedded itself in the wall. Killjoy scrambled away from the edge of the wall positioning herself to hold the angle, waiting for a push.

Yoru, where are you? Killjoy thought too afraid to make another move much less speak over comms.

Suddenly, multiple footsteps sounded from the entrance directly by her. In a moment of calculation, she figured there must be at least three of them. At the same moment, the comms exploded as all her teammates reported that their positions were being challenged.

Killjoy held the angle, waiting for an enemy to peek her. Three were good odds, she was a good shot when needed. The sound of shots could be heard in the distance, and she hoped that everyone else was all right. Momentarily distracted by the comms and distant shots, she didn't see the fist swinging right towards her head from above the wall.