Thirteen: wedding confessions

"When I saw you first, it took every ounce of me not to kiss you. When I saw you laugh, it took every ounce of me not to fall in love. And when I saw your soul— it took every ounce of me."
~Atticus

Tw: mention of a suicide attempt

Jean

"Oh, you definitely are going to take this down." I frowned, a smile remaining on my lips nevertheless.

Emily hold the razor in place, daring to pull it up her leg and leave the hair in the steaming water all around her. "You can take a shower over there, no issue with that my dearest Jean."

The metallic shimmer of the item glittered in the light.

"But I want to sit here." I groaned, head thrown back and touching the edge of the bathtub, feeling the steam from underneath reaching my head. A genuinely hotter warmth. "With you." My head turned aside, glaring at her. Her skin glistened in the dimmed light of the bathroom.

Dark brown curls laid over her shoulder and stuck to her collarbone. The ends of her hair could not possibly be itching. Even wet it looked flawlessly stunning. And a wide simper painted her perfect lips, exposing straight white teeth.

The brunette's hot and wet hand stroke along the side of my face. Traces of tingles left behind. "Naw, is someone clingy today?"

"Lazy. That's the right word." I huffed and caught her smiling from the corner of my eye all over. "Definitely not clingy." My head shook left and right.

Clingy? Tzz, as if. I could very well leave.

The sound of water dripping into the bathtub and feet rubbing over the floor of it, touched my ears. My hand reached for the black towel in my lap and handed it over. In the process her fingertips brushed across my fingers, leaving me biting down on my inner cheek, to prevent a smile. "Alright, the tub is yours."

She leaned down to my level and pecked my lips smoothly. Now, I did not manage to hold back the grin tugging at my lips and I rapidly slipped into the tub, after removing the bathrobe. "I like the fringe situation going on, by the way." I voiced as I stared at Emily who stood at the sink and smudged some skincare products into her face.

"Haven't you seen pictures of me with bangs before?" She searched my eyes in the mirror.

"I probably would remember such." My arms dived under water and I almost allowed my head to go under as well, though I quite immediately changed my mind. With a soft tension of my abdominal muscles, my back was not touching the water anymore.

A sudden coldness wrapped around me and I sat up and wrapped my arms around my knees, hugging onto them for support. Face buried between I exhaled deeply.

This was not his bathtub nor bathroom. This was not his house. This was not his.

When I rose my gaze again and placed the side of my face on top of my knees, Emily's presence right next to me left me holding my breath in fright.

"A penny for your thoughts, my dear?" Her pointer and middle finger stroke along my shin. Up and down.

I dared to smile and brush it off, though something prevented me from doing so. My conscious wouldn't let me lie to Emily and it sucked. I had been lying to people for years. Now this woman stepped into my live months ago and it seemed as if she had pinched a nerve.

"Promise you won't get me locked up?"

She frowned and her hand stopped once it was on top of mine, assuringly squeezing it. "Of course not. How could I make such promises?" She grinned, the sarcasm dripping off her lips. "What is it?"