Chapter 4:

"We really don't have to go to the banquet." I tried convincing my mother and Leo who were preparing dinner in the kitchen, "It's just an over glorified function used to shame students who failed to choose to go to college."

Leo stifled a laugh as my mother rolled her eyes from the pot she was stirring.

"And I refuse to be a part of it!" I added for emphasis.

"Well just for tonight you have to. The March's are going to be there and I can't wait to see the look on their faces when they hear that my daughter got into Ha..."

Oh no. She couldn't say it, not yet.

I reached over the counter and pushed over the mason jar of preserved apricots onto the marble floor, shattering it into hundreds of pieces, oozing juice everywhere.

My mother turned around with mouth wide open before realizing I had done it on purpose.

"I'll go get the mop." I bit down on my lip, quickly turning for the door.

"Here let me show you were I last put it." My mother fake smiled leading me into the hall.

We stopped in front of the closet where she retrieved a mop and a bucket.

"What is your issue?" She asked me scrunching her face up like she usually did when she was confused or angry.

I frowned down at my nude ballet flats and shrugged.

"Does it have anything to do with that UCLA hoodie?" She asked pointing a long finger at the gold embroidering on the front.

"Yeah," I swallowed the lump in my throat, " I haven't told Leo."

"You haven't told him?" She reiterated in disbelief, "He is here for your College Acceptance Banquet and you haven't told him? What are you going to do when you get called up on stage for a different university?"

I bit down on the inside of my mouth and nodded my head, "You're right, I'll tell him now."

"Of course I'm right, I'm your mother."
-

I mopped up my mess as Leo and my mother continued cooking. Once I was finished disposing of all the glass I called Leo out to the living room.

The house was silent except for the sound of a pan sizzling and the wind blowing through the windows.

Leo followed me past the hall and placed his hands on the sides of my face, leaning his forehead against mine.

"Leo." I tried pulling away, this wasn't the time.

"I've missed you so much." He breathed into my ear.

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and goosebumps rose upon my skin. He kissed my lower lip gently and just as I had traced my fingers into his hair I heard the lock move within the door.

We stepped away from each other as fast as possible and watched as my father walked through the door.

"Hey kiddo," My father smiled at me then turned to Leo, "Leo it's so great to have you here!"

Leo reached a hand out to my father but to my surprise he enveloped my boyfriend in an unexpected hug.

I was still blushing like mad from the feeling of Leo pressed against my skin.

"Is that dinner?" My father asked excitedly heading towards the kitchen.

"Yeah it's spaghetti." I finally found my voice, although it came out high pitched.

"You okay?" Leo smirked at me.

"Fine." I smiled, making my way past him and to the dinner table.