Chapter 11:

My "suspension" passed, unreported to Harvard thanks to my academic counselors meeting with the principal and my 6th period teacher.

I carried on with school the past two weeks as I had the first day of my suspension; quiet, cold, and distant.

I kinda missed hanging out with Aria, Bradley, and Samantha. I thought of them everyday as I sat in my car alone and drank my coffee.

...

"Finals begin next week." My 6th period teacher announced towards the end of class, "Here up on the board you'll see 1st through 2nd on Tuesday, 3rd and 4th on Wednesday, and 5th through 6th on Thursday. All will be minimum days."

I clenched my fists tightly thinking about all the finals I had to study for.

"Do study for this test, most of you are failing the class anyway."

Breathe Karla.

...

I was at my second home after school, typing away on my laptop and ordering coffee after coffee when Samantha texted me.

I had been ignoring everyone's texts but this one stood out because it had to do with Leo.

Leo.

When was the last time I saw him? Or spoke to him? I hadn't seen his name in so long.

The text I didn't even have to open, the preview was Samantha asking me if I had seen Leo's latest interview.

No, I hadn't. I searched it up right away.

I unplugged my earphones from my phone and into my laptop. The interview was a short piece on the news about the film he was currently shooting.

I watched his face on my screen as he talked and I suddenly realized the longing ache in my heart.

"We see that you and your girlfriend are still going strong." The interviewer switched topics.

"Yeah." Leo nodded awkwardly.

"You visited a couple weeks ago and we suspect you'll be at her graduation soon, right?"

"Yes, I will be there." He continued with the strange phrases and tone.

"Now we've heard it from classmates on social media but is it true Karla will be going to Harvard?"

Oh here it comes.

"Yeah. Yeah, she is."

Leo seemed obviously upset and annoyed at the conversation but the interviewer would not take a hint.

"I don't understand, we thought you'd be a little more enthusiastic of her going to such a great school."

"I am enthusiastic. I'm over the moon that she's going to Harvard." I heard Leo's sarcasm start to peek in his rant, "I'm glad she chose not just a great school but the best. Because apparently UCLA and I weren't enough for her to stay. She had to choose to go across the country when she had promised something else for us. When she had promised it would be us."

The interviewer went cold and quiet as Leo caught himself and tried to relax.

A long pause held over the scene as the interviewer contemplated her next move.

"Yes and thank you Leo. I think it was time for the weather now?"

The lady cut the interview short and had the news jump to the weatherman.

That was the end of the video.