III.

𝚀𝚞𝚒𝚗𝚗

Quinn's heart dropped into his stomach the moment he saw her. Once the girl had recovered from her shock of a puck landing in her beer, she was wincing, grabbing at a bandage wrapped around her forearm.

The little boy who was talking to her glanced wildly between her and Quinn. It would have been easy to send one of the team assistants to get her a new beer, but she seemed to be in an awful lot of pain. Frantically, Quinn skated to the bench, calling over one of the trainers.

"What's up?" Donny asked as he approached.

Quinn gestured through the glass. "I just knocked a beer out of that girl's hand," he hurried. "It looks like she had some bandages or something on her arm and now they're like-soaked. And I think she's in pain." He turned to look back at her: she seemed to be okay, besides the grimace on her lips, but Quinn still felt horrible. "Can you please go check on her?"

Donny was quick to nod, and he headed for the tunnel to make his way into the crowd. Quinn returned to the boards in front of the girl, who now had his full attention. She had pulled off the Canucks sweatshirt she had been wearing, which left her in a black tank top that hugged her curves.

It wasn't often that Quinn got distracted when he was on the ice, but there was nothing that could have pulled his eyes from this girl. She was beautiful, even as she undid the beer-soaked bandages and surveyed the damage underneath. Already, Quinn could tell that she was shivering without her sweatshirt, which was now soaked with beer.

Without even thinking about it, he rushed back to the bench and down the tunnel, all the way to the locker room. At his stall, he opened his black backpack of extra clothes, pulling out a Canucks hoodie that he'd worn on his way to the rink. When he returned to the ice, he made his way back to his place along the boards.

In the stands, sure enough, Donny had found the girl and was wiping off her arm. There, Quinn could see that her skin was red and blistered-almost like she'd been badly burned. Quinn tried to get their attention through the little crowd in front of the boards by knocking the blade of his stick against the glass.

It was the little boy in the Canucks jersey that noticed him first. He prodded at the girl's shoulder before pointing over at Quinn, who sheepishly held up the sweatshirt he had brought out from the locker room. It seemed to catch her by surprise, because her mouth fell open just an inch, and she didn't seem to hear whatever the kid was saying to her.

On his own, the little boy hurried down the stairs to reach the glass, shoving through the crowd. Quinn wrapped the sweatshirt around the end of his stick and then shook it off over top of the boards so that it fell into the boy's arms.

"Tell your mom I'm so sorry," Quinn called through the glass.

The little boy looked up at him, eyes wide, and then replied, "That's my Auntie G."

It would have been untrue to say that Quinn wasn't sort of hoping that's the reply he would get. He glanced back up at the girl in the stands. G. Quinn liked it. Liked her. Never in his life had he ever been so immediately awestruck by anyone. He didn't want her to get away.

Donny, who was just finishing his wrap on the girl's arm, caught Quinn's gaze over the crowd. He must have noticed Quinn's eyes, because he looked briefly at the girl and then back at Quinn. Subtly, Donny offered him a little nod and then a wink.

Quinn just hoped it meant what he wanted it to mean.

-------

𝙂𝙚𝙤𝙧𝙜𝙞𝙖

Messages

uni gals 🤢

Georgia
UMMMM SO???
WE ALL KNOW WHO QUINN
HUGHES IS, RIGHT????

Fiona
yes, the loml

Bethany
our only hope for a playoff run?

Fiona
beth aren't you supposed to be a
leafs fan now that you're in toronto?

Bethany
barf don't remind me i share a city with
those dirtbags

Rhianne
why are we talking about quinn hughes, g?

Georgia
because i think i just gave him
my number????

Bethany
hold on what

Fiona
WHAT

Rhianne
um can you like extrapolate on that
immediately. im going to die

Georgia
okay long story but im at the warmups
right? and he hit the puck into my beer
and basically it spilled on me and i just
got this burn today and so it was wrapped
up with gauze and the beer soaked
through the gauze and and i guess he
like sent one of their trainers to come
check on me and then he also threw a
sweatshirt over the glass for me because
obviously i got beer all over mine.
and then as the trainer was leaving the
stands he literally said that quinn wanted
my number to apologize over text.

Bethany
i can't tell if g is pranking us or
not

Rhianne
THATS WAY TOO MANY DETAILS FOR
A PRANK I THINK SHE'S BEING FOR
REAL

Fiona
holy shit are you serious

Bethany
oh my god you actually got the number
of a professional hockey player

Rhianne
what do they call the hockey team girls

Bethany
puck sluts?
puck bunnies?
idk but im one of them.

Rhianne
no the nice term for like their families

Fiona
oh a WAG, right?

Rhianne
YES THAT
G IS GONNA BE A WAG

Georgia
im actually freaking out.
there's no way he actually texts
me, right?